If you’ve heard the word cryptocurrency, then there’s a ninety nine percent chance of you being familiar with cryptocurrency exchange platforms too. Even if you haven’t, I’m sure Bitcoin has definitely called for your attention.
Bitcoin and other cryptocurrencies are listed on cryptocurrency exchanges for the purpose of trading.
What Is a Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform?
You can’t simply go to a bank and ask for any digital currency. Instead, you’ll need a proper digital platform for making any trade in Bitcoin, Ether, Ripple or as a matter of fact any crypto. After all, that’s the whole point of creating digital currencies. Cryptocurrency exchange platforms are such online portals that allow you to exchange a digital currency (cryptocurrency) for another one or even a fiat currency depending upon the type of exchange.
Weather you are youngster or an experienced lad, the popularity of cryptocurrencies along with their hefty returns will make you curious to try your luck in the markets. However, buying and selling of these digital currencies often brings you to ponder upon questions like- How do I start earning money? Which is the best cryptocurrency exchange platform for trading? Well, if there’s a will, there’s a way. There are many options when it comes to crypto exchanges, all of which have their specific pros and cons.
You do not need to right away choose the first exchange option you see on Google search. Take your time to research as different crypto exchange platforms available in the market vary from each other in terms of functionality and style of trading they offer. To save your time, I’ve listed below the different types of cryptocurrency exchange platforms that’ll help you get a better idea:
- Traditional Crypto Exchanges: If you see yourself as someone who has enough experience of dealing in the stock markets, traditional crypto exchanges might seem familiar to you. These platforms operate in a similar manner except for the fact that they deal in cryptocurrencies rather than fiat currencies. They also charge a small percentage of the trade in the form of their platform fee. Example- Kraken
- Crypto Brokers: As the name suggests, these platforms allow you to deal in cryptocurrencies according to the price set by the broker. The cost of using these exchanges is slightly higher than traditional exchanges, but they are comparatively easier to use. Example- Coinbase
- Trading Platforms (direct): Opposed to the traditional platforms, these trading platforms allow you to conduct exchange in a peer-to-peer manner. They match your selling/buying prices with the orders placed by other users and allow the trade to take place once both amounts match.
- Cryptocurrency Funds: If you wish to invest in digital assets without making a purchase, cryptocurrency funds are for you. They allow professionally managed crypto assets to be bought or sold by the public via cryptocurrency funds. Example- GBTC.
The market is still flaunting its potential and, therefore, all you need to do is find the right exchange and start investing.
Following is a list of top 7 cryptocurrency exchange platforms your reference:
If your focus lies in crypto-to-crypto trading, Binance is the option you can go ahead with. Binance is ranked as one of the most popular cryptocurrency exchanges worldwide. Being natively evolved from China, it offers its features and functionality to traders worldwide. On the top of this, it’ll also provide you with impressive offerings along with an extremely low trading fee. Though the Binance platform hasn’t been too old in the field of exchanges, it has taken over and gained a rapid growth by getting listed in the top 10 cryptocurrency exchange platforms of current times. Binance holds a huge selection of altcoins with Bitcoin, Ethereum, and Tether pairing.
The exchange offers its own coin termed as BNB (Binance coin). Being a centralised exchange, you can get decent discounts while conducting trade in their own tokens i.e. BNB. Before investing through any exchange, your major concern might be the fee structure. Thanks to Binance, as it offers a standard trading fee of only 0.1% which can further be reduced if the payment is conducted in BNB. Moreover, you can register and operate on both web and mobile (Android and iOS) interfaces which are very simple and user-friendly.
Similar to Binance, KuCoin holds its roots in China too. Although, after the crackdown, it moved to Hong Kong and started with a sharp growth through its affiliate program. As KuCoin holds the reputation of being an early adopter of cryptos, you might want to consider it for long-term holdings. Your long-term HODL plans can lead you to earn good money.
With the KuCoin exchange, you’ll also get an is an easy, hassle-free experience along with different popular as well as rare cryptocurrencies such as DragonChain, IOTA, etc. If mobile apps are your preference, you can trade on KuCoin easily as it has apps for both Android and iOS. In order to go ahead with trading in KuCoin, you can deposit any crypto initially and start immediately. In terms of fee, KuCoin also takes 0.1% per transaction, half of which can be taken by you through the unique dividend system offered by the exchange.
Bittrex is a US based crypto exchange platform that allows you to trade in large numbers of trading pairs. You’ll also be able to get all the major cryptocurrencies on the platform including litecoin, darkcoin, and nextcoin. Along with this, it also offers Ethereum and Neucoin. If you are looking for a platform that offers reliable security, then Bittrex is the right choice for you as it offers 2FA and is well-regulated and compliant with the rules of the United States.
Known for handling one of the largest Bitcoin volumes out of all the crypto exchanges globally, Bittrex allows you to decide the trading rates with a service fee of around 0.25%. Moreover, a lot of your time will be saved as the verification process in Bittrex is pretty fast which allows you to start the trading process without any major halt. The platform supports two types of accounts namely, Basic and Advanced with withdrawal funds up to 3 BTC/day to 100 BTC/day, respectively.
For registration on Bittrex, all you need to do is just a simple log in through your email ID. However, for the purpose of withdrawing funds, you’ll need to go through the process of KYC and submit your personal details such as ID cards and phone number. Another noteworthy thing is that Bittrex is a “crypto-only” exchange, thus, it does not allow you to deal in fiat currencies.
Need a one-stop shop for all your crypto trading requirements? You can place your bet on Bitfinex (BFX). Bitfinex is a popular cryptocurrency exchange platform that allows you to trade conveniently and effectively. Having its headquarters in Hong Kong, Bitfinex has expanded to a great level since its inception in the year 2012. As a reliable source of cryptocurrency, Bitfinex has its daily trading volumes with a net worth of around USD 1 billion.
Being a newbie to the crypto trading world, you might be looking for a platform that’s easy to understand. However, BFX has a highly customizable interface platform which is better suited for users with trading experience as compared to the beginners.
You’ll get almost all popular altcoins and cryptos with its full-spec wallet services of BFX, along with bitcoin. In case, you don’t find what you need or are doubtful, you can easily raise support tickets which, on an average, are resolved in a day.
You can select the platform according to your requirements however, most of the people looking out for an exchange platform prefer BFX due to the unique features it offers such as margin lending, anonymous trading via OTC services, Automated trading APIs and mobile apps for both Android and iOS.
Poloniex was started in the year 2014 and has become a preferred platform for crypto exchange and trading since then. You might want to pay attention to this US based platform as it offers more than a hundred cryptocurrencies to its users for trading. What makes the exchange unique probably the most preferred choice of people like you is that, it holds the highest volume for Ether as it supports both Ethereum and BTC markets independently.
Similar to Bitterex, Poloniex is also a crypto-only exchange which will allow you to go ahead with your trading by depositing Tether dollars. The fee charges for this crypto exchange depends upon your choice (whether you are a maker or taker) and can be 0.15% to 0.25% accordingly. Traders looking for a variety of altcoins can check Poloniex for their requirements. Although you’ll get an intuitive mobile-friendly website to place your trade; there are no options in terms of mobile applications.
If you are a long-term, professional trader, Poloniex can be suitable for you but if you’re entering the market as a newbie, it can be a little challenging. You’ll also find a wide range of methodical data-analysis tools, clubbed with charts including precise details that help the users to make informed trade decisions.
A relatively new name to the crypto exchange list, the Gate.io exchange started its operations in the year 2017. It aims to offer its users with unique coins and hassle free experience. Moreover, investors can find information related to the coins of their choice as well as market trends in the platform’s website itself. Their website operates in two languages, i.e., English and Chinese.
The platform offers you with good charting, trade history as well as functional order book where you can place orders on your preferred price. As your amount matches with an order of opposite matching, your order will automatically get partially or fully filled. Being a new market player, Gate.io currently allows you to register and create accounts for free. It also allows you minimum exchange fees, i.e. only 0.2%.
Talking about security, Gate.io utilizes both cold storage and hot wallet for storing funds. Client accounts are offered two-factor authentication along with a number of passwords.
Founded in the year 2017, Bibox is a new crypto exchange that makes use of encrypted algorithms for aiding optimal crypto trades and transactions. If you’re a novice, you can find a lot of information on Bibox as it serves as a knowledge tool for creating awareness for digital currencies.
On Bibox, you’ll be able to trade only in the form of crypto assets hence, no space of fiat exchanges. It allows you to trade cryptocurrencies in markets like Ethereum, Bitcoin, Tether, and Dai. What makes Bibox unique for your choice is its use of smart AI algorithms for ensuring optimal trades. Moreover, you can trade on Bibox with its very own token offering.
In case, you do not wish to hold the token, you’ll be charged a small fee of 0.1%. Moreover,for depositing cryptos, you’ll not be charged anything but at the time of withdrawing, you’ll need to pay 1% fee with the minimum withdrawal of USD 15. Overall, Bibox offers an easy to use platform for you with a large array of cryptocurrency assets for trading.
Things to Keep in Mind Before Investing
Now that you’re well-versed about the types of crypto exchange platforms available in the markets, you might think it’s time for you to get started with the investments. Not yet though! Like stock exchange and money trading, crypto trading is not a piece of cake. You need to learn the basics, gather all the necessary information, and get prepared before ultimately heading towards investments. Here’s a list of things to check before finalising an exchange:
- Stature– Many people are using crypto exchanges for trading these days. Some of these are professional traders also. You can collect insights and feedback from such people as well as online resources in the form of blogs, video reviews, etc. and check the ranking and reputation of the exchange you’re willing to invest in.
- Fees- Almost all the exchanges include the information regarding their fee structure on their websites. You can check and gain more knowledge about different fee involved in crypto exchanges including deposit, transaction as well as withdrawals.
- Verification criterion- Since cryptocurrencies aren’t government regulated, trading on exchanges is posed to hacks and misuse of identities. Therefore, all the reliable exchanges will ask you for the verification of your personal identity in one or the other forms to make deposits and withdrawals. To remain on the safer side and avoid money laundering and frauds, you must opt for the step of identity verification while registering on an exchange.
- Location restrictions- Exchange platforms are subject to risks. Due to this reason, some of the exchanges limit the availability of their features to specific locations. Before investing in an exchange, you must read the terms, conditions, and policies thoroughly in order to avoid getting stuck in a situation like this.
- Modes of Payment- Cryptocurrency exchanges allow you to deal in crypto through different modes of payment like Debit card, Credit card, Wire transfer, and even PayPal. However, the number of payment modes offered by different exchanges might differ. You should choose a platform that offers you multiple options for payment purposes rather than the ones having a single mode.
- Exchange Rate- Similar to the payment options and charges, crypto exchange platforms differ in the terms of exchange rate too. You can save a good chunk of your money by spending more time in learning about the rates offered by different platforms.
When it comes to trading in cryptos, you’ll get many options for buying and selling your digital assets. However, it is extremely important for you to study, research, and then invest your money in these cryptocurrency exchange platforms as exchanges are independent entities and are subject to risks.
In order to keep your crypto investments safe, you can keep your records in a separate hardware wallet and keep a track of your trading stack. Features of some cryptocurrency exchange platforms may vary from other platforms and that’s why it is important for you to find the one that matches your needs. Once you are sure about the exchange that fulfils your requirements, go ahead and trade.
Note: If you happen to know some other crypto exchanges that I’ve missed in the post, please write to me at [email protected]