June 14th 2020
Passionate InfoSec Advocate And Cybersecurity Analyst
As part of the transition, Apple will be shutting down Dark Sky’s Android version on July 1, 2020, but the iOS app will remain unaffected.
As for the API service, which serves thousands of developers and users, Dark Sky announced that it would no longer accept new subscribers. The API will continue serving current customers but will eventually shut down entirely at the end of 2021.
This is a huge blow to the Android community and all API users who will be denied access to Dark Sky’s hyper-local forecasts. However, the sky doesn’t have to be as dark as it appears. There are plenty of great alternatives to choose from.
Here are the top weather APIs you should consider as a Dark Sky replacement.
The ClimaCell API also provides air quality information, lighting maps, moon phases, pollen indexes, fire risks, road risk map displays, and more.
Trusted by Ford, Uber, Google Cloud, and many other big-name brands, the API uses unique sensing technologies and AI models to combine proprietary data.
- Free trial API version with multiple endpoints
- Complete weather suite powered by Micro weather technologies
- Detailed data for weather elements such as rain, snow, humidity, temperature, wind speed, cloud coverage, and more
- Reliable weather alerts for locations of interest
- Map layer visualizations for different locations and weather patterns
- It can be smoothly deployed to multiple platforms
Its set of weather APIs includes current weather updates, forecasts, alerts, imagery, and indices.
- Trial version for testing the API’s performance and functionality
- Highly accurate past, current, and forecast weather data
- Customized alerts on severe weather alerts and storm warnings
- Both static and interactive maps for visualizing weather conditions
Additionally, this API provides detailed current and historical data on air pollution that dates back to 2015.
- Fast and easy to use API, coupled with a comprehensive documentation
- Free API version that allows up to 100 requests daily
- Collects data from over 40,000 locations globally, including major cities
- Accurate weather data in various formats including XML, JSON, and HTML
- Useful weather charts, and interactive weather maps display various weather elements for any chosen location
4. Visual Crossing Weather API
The API allows users to access weather metrics such as rainfall, temperature, wind speed, snow, pressure, and humidity.
- Simple and easy to use API
- The free tier allows up to 500 requests every month
- It supports JSON, CSV and OData formats
- Detailed hourly and historical weather data for any location and city globally
- Seamless integration of weather information into websites and applications.
With this API, users can retrieve accurate weather information for any geo-point in JSON format.
- Free plan that new users can start with
- The API is super-fast and easy-to-use
- Accurate and dependable weather information
- A bulk API endpoint that can handle over a billion requests every day
- Comprehensive API documentation
6. AirVisual API
It collects data through its network of over 8000 ground-based sensors and validates the data points using its machine learning and AI-driven capabilities.
By doing so, AirVisual provides accurate data that your users can trust.
- Free API package allows up to 10000 calls per month
- It aggregates historical, live, and forecast data for weather aspects like pressure, temperature, humidity, and more
- Its machine learning and AI-driven verification technologies ensure data is accurate and timely
- It helps address the global problem of air pollution
Based on the forecasting model developed by renowned meteorologist Gary Lezak’s, Weather 2020 builds on the standard forecasting with insights from proprietary patterns.
- Free version allows up to 1000 API calls every day
- It uses LRC technology to generate accurate, long-range weather indications
- It powers popular applications like 1weather and serves over 10 million weather forecasts every day
- Access to interactive weather data and analytics dashboard and analytics.It returns data in JSON format
Through its endpoints, you can access other valuable information like air quality, soil moisture, soil temperature, and severe weather alerts.
- Free version allows up to 500 daily calls but does not allow commercial use
- Machine learning and AI technologies for accurate weather predictions
- High uptime and super-fast response time
- It supports JSON and HTML data formats
There are many other free weather APIs available, but after careful analysis, these eight made the cut.
Developers can use any of the above APIs to build robust weather applications without breaking the bank.