By 2020, 82% of all internet traffic will be video. Currently accounting for 67% of internet traffic, the video content and streaming market is a multi-billion dollar industry that continues to explode.
However, the ecosystem today is highly centralized and inefficient, resulting in low quality streaming, high cost of content delivery, and limited revenue flow back to content creators. The problem is only worsening with new higher resolution and higher bitrate streaming technologies, such as 360° virtual reality (VR). The solution is a decentralized peer-to-peer network leveraging the power of Blockchain.
Theta Labs, a subsidiary of SLIVER.tv, one of the leading VR live streaming companies, is announcing a decentralized streaming network, powered by users and a new native Blockchain.
The founding team has a combined 30+ years of experience in the video streaming space with advisors including Steve Chen, Co-Founder of YouTube, and Justin Kan, Co-Founder of Twitch.
Theta is an open source protocol purpose-built to power the decentralized streaming network and will allow for vertical decentralized apps (DApps) to be built on top of the platform to enable esports, music, TV/movies, education, enterprise conferencing, peer-to-peer streaming, and more. SLIVER.tv’s DApp will be the first application built on the Theta network leveraging its existing user base of millions of esports viewers.
The core of the network enables users worldwide with un-utilized PC bandwidth and resources to cache and relay video streams to others in the network and in turn mine Theta tokens, similar to Bitcoin and Ethereum.
This is especially valuable in many parts of the world with spotty internet connectivity. Imagine, a user in the middle of Brazil goes to sleep with his computer on, wakes up in the morning and has made a few dollars by running his Theta app in the background. The peer-to-peer decentralized network will allow for much more efficient, high quality streaming. Publishers and content creators will no longer need to develop expensive infrastructure, empowering original content creation and novel business models.
The Theta Blockchain is the only end-to-end infrastructure for decentralized video streaming and delivery that provides both technical and economic solutions, and utilizes:
- Reputation Dependent Mining – When a caching node mines a new Theta block it calculates a reputation score for itself. The reputation score is a measure of the amount of video stream data it relayed in a recent time window. A high reputation score increases the block reward, and in turn encourages the caching node to relay more video.
- Global Reputation Consensus – When a new block is mined, all caching nodes must verify the reputation score of the caching node that mined the block, and thus form a global consensus on the block reward.
- Proof-of-Engagement – Proves viewers legitimately consume the video streams, providing transparency to advertisers and a basis for viewers to earn Theta tokens in return for engaging with the content.
“We’ve been on the cutting edge of live streaming technology and by leveraging Blockchain we will truly be able to transform the video and entertainment industry,” said Mitch Liu, Co-Founder and CEO of Theta Labs, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of SLIVER.tv. ”Theta will be uniquely built to leverage the incentive mechanisms of the Blockchain, enabling end-users to contribute their excess PC bandwidth and resources to relay video streams to others and earn Theta tokens at the same time. It’s a win-win for all stakeholders in the ecosystem.”
“Theta’s innovation is set to disrupt today’s online video industry much in the same way that the YouTube platform did to traditional video back in 2005. One of our biggest challenges had been the high costs of delivering video to various parts of the world, and this problem is only getting bigger with HD, 4K and higher quality video streams,” said Steve Chen, Co-Founder of YouTube. “I’m excited to be part of the next evolution of the streaming space, helping Theta create a decentralized peer-to-peer network that can offer improved video delivery at lower costs.”
Other advisors include Professor Shoucheng Zhang, Founder of Danhua Capital, Fan Zhang, founding member of Sequoia Capital China, Travis Skewers, Founder of CoinMkt, one of the first US bitcoin exchanges, Rajeev Surati, MIT Phd in video compression and streaming, Sebastian Sorrento, Founder of Ripio, the first global lending network on Blockchain, Cliff Morgan, CEO of GFUEL, Sam Wick, Head of UTA Ventures, and Dennis Fong, CEO of Plays.tv aka “Thresh” the world champion of Quake/Doom.
In December, Theta ERC20-compliant tokens will be implemented on the SLIVER.tv platform as an application token for virtual gifting and incentivizing streamers. Additionally, they will be utilized by advertisers and brand sponsors to fund their ad campaigns and support key content creators. These ERC20 tokens will be 1:1 exchangeable for native Theta tokens when the new Blockchain launches, planned for Q4 2018. Pre-registration is now open for the public token sale scheduled to begin January 2018.
Learn more by reading the Theta whitepaper.
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency – November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain – November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept – November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO – November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network – November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO – November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction – November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors – November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals – November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses – November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain – November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading – November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO – November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale – November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration – November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange – November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation – November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated – November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform – November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games – November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube – November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s – November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security – November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch – November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project – November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution – November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event – November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering – November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event – November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program – November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain – November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games – November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores – November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains – November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round – November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain – November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology – November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries – November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform – November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research – November 20, 2017
- Storiqa Makes Cryptocurrency Closer To The World – Usual E-shop With A Few Peculiarities For Unusual Currency – November 17, 2017
- American Express Cuts Deal with Ripplenet – Giving Visibility and Speed to Global Commercial Payments – November 16, 2017
- CapLinked Named One of 20 Most Promising Collaboration Technology Providers By CIO – November 16, 2017
- Global Blockchain Technologies Corp. Announces $20M Fund to Invest in Steem SMTs – November 16, 2017
- Augmate Announces First IoT Device Management Platform Using Distributed Ledgers – November 16, 2017
- BitDegree Teams up with Zcoin to Develop Cryptography Course – November 16, 2017
- With Backing from the Biggest Poker Names, CoinPoker Launches Pre-ICO – November 15, 2017
- Jeff Garzik – Metronome GitHub is now public – November 14, 2017
- Livestreaming Pioneer YouNow Doubles Down on Decentralization with Storj Labs Partnership – November 14, 2017
- OriginTrail – Winner of Walmart 2017 Food Safety Innovation Award Announces Presale – November 14, 2017
View All Articles