The release of the Australian securities regulator’s guidance framework for initial coin offerings (ICOs) is an important step forward for startups looking to crowd-fund a project using digital currencies, and could help further worldwide regulatory discussions on the issue.
On 28 September, the Australian Securities and Investment Commission (ASIC) released detailed information about the potential application of Australian corporations law to businesses that are considering raising funds through an ICO.
Danielle Szetho, CEO of Australia’s fintech industry association FinTech Australia, said ASIC’s announcement was recognition of the importance of ICOs as a mechanism for start-ups raising funds.
In addition, she said it spoke of the regulator’s willingness to adopt a collaborative approach towards working with the fintech community, who are looking to either assist or engage in crowd-funding through ICOs whilst also meeting their regulatory obligations.
“This is the clarification we have all been waiting for, and I feel it strikes a very good balance between helping start-ups looking to run an ICO in Australia while at the same time informing and protecting potential investors,” Ms Szetho said.
“The guidance ASIC has released is a positive step to ensure a viable future for ICOs in Australia, and sits alongside other positive initiatives such as removing double taxation on digital currencies and driving international blockchain standards.”
Ms Szetho said the fintech community approved of the approach taken by ASIC in its guidance, as the many examples provided made it clearer which regulations might apply to startups seeking to undertake an ICO from Australia, or to market their ICO tokens to Australian investors.
According to Ms Szetho, ICOs are a nuanced subject matter when it comes to regulatory provisions because they could potentially be classified as one of a variety of financial instruments, depending on how the tokens are designed. This made it more challenging for regulators to provide a holistic and consistent framework that encompassed how ICOs should be regulated.
Leigh Travers, CEO of blockchain technology company DigitalX stated:
“We are pleased to see ASIC’s recognition of the important contribution ICOs can make to Australian businesses looking to raise funds and the new investment option that it make available to investors.
“We also see ASIC’s welcoming commentary to help innovative firms understand the framework as a further sign that Australia is leading the way in adopting a positive outlook towards Blockchain adoption.
“The general principle that ICOs utilising the App Coin or Utility Coin model are only subject to general law and consumer law while ICOs that are securities needing to comply with the Corporations Act seems to be appropriate.
“The guidelines also show the need for more detailed consultation with industry to get the model right.”
Blockchain consultancy and marketing firm ICOPromo CEO Sergei Sergienko echoed these statements, saying the blockchain community in Australia was keen to continue working with ASIC on this to ensure that any regulation was in step with the current climate surrounding ICOs for start-ups across Asia Pacific.
“It’s very commendable that ASIC is looking intently at ICOs and are taking a calm and measured approach to help provide guidance to interested parties in Australia,” he said.
“This is certainly a welcome announcement as it shows the regulator is listening and are being proactive in taking a collaborative approach to working with the blockchain start-up community in Australia.”
FinTech Australia also welcomed ASIC’s launch of a consumer-facing publication on ICOs on their MoneySmart website in a move aimed to ensure investors can make better informed decisions when it comes to participating in speculative investments such as initial coin offerings.
ASIC’s Regulatory Guide for ICOs can be found here.
- US SEC Goes Charges ICO Businessman For Defrauding Investors – October 1, 2017
- Pre-ICO Launch: HireMatch Offers Solution to Expedite Recruitment Process – October 1, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announces The STK Token, Providing Instant Cryptocurrency Payments At Point Of Sale – October 1, 2017
- ICO Regulation News Accelerating – Analysis – October 1, 2017
- Streamr, The Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Successfully Reaches 5 Million CHF Pre-Sale Cap in 25 Minutes – October 1, 2017
- BitClave Announces Partnership with Bancor – October 1, 2017
- Clicktopurchase Adds Blockchain to Established Property Purchasing Platform – October 1, 2017
- Former White House CIO Joins COBINHOOD as Strategic Advisor – October 1, 2017
- Steemit Introduces New Way To Monetize Media And Publishers – October 1, 2017
- Etch ICO Wants to Revolutionise Payroll Platform – Boosted by KPMG Collaboration – October 1, 2017
- DMarket Announces Second Phase of Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- DECENT Wins Big at the Central European Startup Awards – October 1, 2017
- Massively Distributed EOS-derived Blockchain XenonNetwork to Begin Token Distribution – October 1, 2017
- modum.io AG appoints Simon Dössegger as CEO – October 1, 2017
- INS Aims To Put Grocery Shopping On Blockchain, Announces Unilever Expressed Interest And ICO Dates – October 1, 2017
- Coinloan Provides Money Secured On Cryptocurrency – Launching Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- Verisart And Avant Arte Partner To Provide Digital Certificates Of Authenticity To Artists And Collectors Worldwide – October 1, 2017
- Goodwill Protocol Ico Looks To Fix Current Broken Economic System Through A Digital Economy That Operates On Human Goodwill – October 1, 2017
- Accenture Joins Hashed Health Blockchain Consortium to Develop and Implement Healthcare Industry Use Cases – October 1, 2017
- Polymath Unveils Stacked Board of Advisors, First Token Issuers & a ‘GitHub for Lawyers’ – October 1, 2017
- DECENT and Venaco Group Create a New Blockchain Joint Venture, Equidato Technologies AG – October 1, 2017
- BankEx, the Decentralized Bank-as-a-Service Exchange, Welcomes Stanford and Maryland Academics as Advisors – September 30, 2017
- Earth Token Wants to Save the Planet – September 29, 2017
- Change Healthcare Introduces Enterprise Blockchain For Healthcare – September 29, 2017
- Helperbit enables Bank Card donations with Blockchain traceability – September 29, 2017
- South Korea Bans Initial Coin Offerings – Plans to Crack Down on Trading – September 29, 2017
- Australian Regulators Vow to Work with Industry for ICOs – September 29, 2017
- ICO Market Transformed by ATS Security Token Joint Venture Forged by tZERO, RenGen and the Argon Group – September 27, 2017
- Backed by the Founder of Mozilla and CEO of Brave, SPiCE VC Is Launching A Fully Regulated Blockchain VC – September 27, 2017
- Spectral And Alliander Launch Blockchain-based Renewable Energy Sharing Token – September 27, 2017
- Munchee Announces The First Decentralized Food Review And Social Platform – September 27, 2017
- Shapeshift rival, Flyp.me launches accountless crypto exchange with 169 trading pairs and 50% profit sharing – September 27, 2017
- Oldham-based Energi Mine set to become first UK business outside London to raise funds through a Token Sale – September 27, 2017
- Snip Partners with Bancor and Matchpool After Extremely Successful Presale Campaign – September 27, 2017
- A new player enters the field of cryptocurrency marketplaces in October 2017 – September 27, 2017
- Unikrn Raised $15 Million in Token Pre-Sale for esports Cryptocurrency From Mark Cuban, Blockchain Capital, Pantera Capital, CoinCircle and More – September 27, 2017
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy – September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light – September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network – September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale – September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece – September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows – September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry – September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin – September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams – September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event – September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally – September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 – September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 – September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 – September 21, 2017
View All Articles