Bitcoin may still be in the hunt for $20,000, but the bulls need progress soon else a minor pullback could be in the offing.
As per CoinDesk’s Bitcoin Price Index (BPI), the cryptocurrency is trading at $17,539, having appreciated 4.48 percent in the last 24 hours to a new all-time high.
But while that’s a modest, even impressive gain, it’s worth noting that alternative currencies like litecoin and ether have strengthened by even more impressive rallies.
On the day’s trading, the cryptocurrencies, the second and fourth by market volume, have seen 71.8 percent and 30 percent gains, respectively. Coinbase’s GDAX exchange and South Korea’s Bithumb have emerged as the primary drivers.
All told, though the stellar performance of litecoin and ether could be indicative of their availability and appeal to new buyers. Hence, a minor correction in bitcoin (BTC) cannot be ruled out as other assets garner attention.
The above chart shows:
- Bull flag breakout followed by a nice rising lows pattern as represented by the ascending trend line.
- The relative strength index is above 50.00 (in the bullish territory) and is trending.
- The 1-hour 50-MA is curled up in favor of the bulls.
- BTC could cut through the resistance at $17,500 and make a move towards the $18,300-$18,500 level over the next 12-24 hours.
- Overall, the cryptocurrency looks set to test the major psychological level of $20,000. As noted earlier today, only two end-of-day closes below the $14,000 would abort the bullish view on the charts.
Toy car image via Shutterstock
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is an independent media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. Interested in offering your expertise or insights to our reporting? Contact us at [email protected].
Disclaimer: This article should not be taken as, and is not intended to provide, investment advice. Please conduct your own thorough research before investing in any cryptocurrency.