Eloplay, an eSports project, who integrate Blockchain-based solutions in the industry, has announced in its recent blogpost that Blockchain is more or less conquering the Esports sector.
eSports at a Glance
eSports is a relatively new phenomenon that, however, managed to spawn a booming industry. Being in fact a form of competitive gaming, this discipline has already been added to the programme of 2022 Asian Games, and may even become a part of 2024 Olympics.
With the number of online gaming platforms steadily increasing, the overall revenues of the industry is likely to reach $1.5 billion by 2020. The audience of eSports events has reached nearly 400 million people in 2017 alone, with 191 million being devoted enthusiasts. As for players themselves, the Global eSports Market Report has estimated their number to reach 58.4 million by the end of 2017.
This all attracts both players and large companies who see a great opportunity in promoting their products and services for a whole new audience. While in traditional sports advertising remains one of the main sources of income, it has not become one for eSports yet. However, the same Global eSports Market Report suggests that by year 2020 advertising will become the second biggest source of revenues in the industry generating profits of up to $224 million.
Most certainly, major online gaming platforms like Steam ride the tide of the brave new market. However, most of those ignore the promise of Blockchain technology, which their lesser competitors seem to have heard. There are numerous examples of online gaming platforms that have already embraced Blockchain-powered solutions or at least have expressed their determination to do so in the short run.
Blockchain and eSports
Various gambling platforms and eSports startups gladly embrace the opportunities brought about by Blockchain-powered solutions, and even hold ICO’s to fund their development. Some experts suggest that the eSports market will experience pervasive tokenization and introduction of smart contracts across most games and platforms. There are even some bold assumptions that customization and purchase of games will be conducted exclusively in cryptocurrencies.
One example of such platforms is FirstBlood, which has been operating for more than a year. The platform offers its users an opportunity to play, compete, place bets, and earn rewards. Currently the platform hosts only Dota 2, however, it has announced that it will also add Counter Strike: Global Offensive, FIFA 18, Hearthstone, League of Legends, and Call of Duty.
Another notable example is Gilgam.es, which has recently held an ICO. With the project scheduled to enter beta in late 2017, the platform will offer individual smart contracts for each match, as well as betting functionality. Notably, the platform will use artificial intelligence, which, however, does not determine the winner but confirms that a certain player or a team has won, and over time, will detect and ban cheaters. The platform will offer a set of games similar to that of FirstBlood.
Finally, Eloplay mentioned before, has been on the market for almost two years, yet it’s only now that it has opted to introduce Blockchain to its ecosystem. The project’s team came up with what they call ‘smart tournaments’ that are basically regular tournaments with decentralized prize pools gathered by the players themselves, or by sponsors of a tournament which in this case is free to participate. Other Blockchain-enabled options of the platform include betting, gamer stats and advertising. However, those are yet to be deployed. Games available at the platform include the same Counter Strike: Global Offensive, Hearthstone, Dota 2 and other popular games.
Decentralized Future of eSports
Those are not the only projects that directly integrate Blockchain solutions in their operation. There are much more of those, some of which offer a specialized token to buy skins across the internet, while others focus on the gambling side of the industry offering advanced betting experiences.
All in all, it seems that, unlike banking, logistics, security, and other industries where Blockchain technology is likely to be widely applicable, the eSports industry seems to be among the few who inclines towards fully embracing the innovation.
With more and more projects integrating Blockchain-powered elements in their platforms, it seems only the matter of time that the industry does become the most tokenized and smart-contracted of them all.
And, at the current pace, it’s likely that it won’t take too long.
- US SEC Goes Charges ICO Businessman For Defrauding Investors – October 1, 2017
- Pre-ICO Launch: HireMatch Offers Solution to Expedite Recruitment Process – October 1, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announces The STK Token, Providing Instant Cryptocurrency Payments At Point Of Sale – October 1, 2017
- ICO Regulation News Accelerating – Analysis – October 1, 2017
- Streamr, The Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Successfully Reaches 5 Million CHF Pre-Sale Cap in 25 Minutes – October 1, 2017
- BitClave Announces Partnership with Bancor – October 1, 2017
- Clicktopurchase Adds Blockchain to Established Property Purchasing Platform – October 1, 2017
- Former White House CIO Joins COBINHOOD as Strategic Advisor – October 1, 2017
- Steemit Introduces New Way To Monetize Media And Publishers – October 1, 2017
- Etch ICO Wants to Revolutionise Payroll Platform – Boosted by KPMG Collaboration – October 1, 2017
- DMarket Announces Second Phase of Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- DECENT Wins Big at the Central European Startup Awards – October 1, 2017
- Massively Distributed EOS-derived Blockchain XenonNetwork to Begin Token Distribution – October 1, 2017
- modum.io AG appoints Simon Dössegger as CEO – October 1, 2017
- INS Aims To Put Grocery Shopping On Blockchain, Announces Unilever Expressed Interest And ICO Dates – October 1, 2017
- Coinloan Provides Money Secured On Cryptocurrency – Launching Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- Verisart And Avant Arte Partner To Provide Digital Certificates Of Authenticity To Artists And Collectors Worldwide – October 1, 2017
- Goodwill Protocol Ico Looks To Fix Current Broken Economic System Through A Digital Economy That Operates On Human Goodwill – October 1, 2017
- Accenture Joins Hashed Health Blockchain Consortium to Develop and Implement Healthcare Industry Use Cases – October 1, 2017
- Polymath Unveils Stacked Board of Advisors, First Token Issuers & a ‘GitHub for Lawyers’ – October 1, 2017
- DECENT and Venaco Group Create a New Blockchain Joint Venture, Equidato Technologies AG – October 1, 2017
- BankEx, the Decentralized Bank-as-a-Service Exchange, Welcomes Stanford and Maryland Academics as Advisors – September 30, 2017
- Earth Token Wants to Save the Planet – September 29, 2017
- Change Healthcare Introduces Enterprise Blockchain For Healthcare – September 29, 2017
- Helperbit enables Bank Card donations with Blockchain traceability – September 29, 2017
- South Korea Bans Initial Coin Offerings – Plans to Crack Down on Trading – September 29, 2017
- Australian Regulators Vow to Work with Industry for ICOs – September 29, 2017
- ICO Market Transformed by ATS Security Token Joint Venture Forged by tZERO, RenGen and the Argon Group – September 27, 2017
- Backed by the Founder of Mozilla and CEO of Brave, SPiCE VC Is Launching A Fully Regulated Blockchain VC – September 27, 2017
- Spectral And Alliander Launch Blockchain-based Renewable Energy Sharing Token – September 27, 2017
- Munchee Announces The First Decentralized Food Review And Social Platform – September 27, 2017
- Shapeshift rival, Flyp.me launches accountless crypto exchange with 169 trading pairs and 50% profit sharing – September 27, 2017
- Oldham-based Energi Mine set to become first UK business outside London to raise funds through a Token Sale – September 27, 2017
- Snip Partners with Bancor and Matchpool After Extremely Successful Presale Campaign – September 27, 2017
- A new player enters the field of cryptocurrency marketplaces in October 2017 – September 27, 2017
- Unikrn Raised $15 Million in Token Pre-Sale for esports Cryptocurrency From Mark Cuban, Blockchain Capital, Pantera Capital, CoinCircle and More – September 27, 2017
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy – September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light – September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network – September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale – September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece – September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows – September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry – September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin – September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams – September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event – September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally – September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 – September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 – September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 – September 21, 2017
View All Articles