The Tech Industry’s Greenest Awards. Public Nominations Are Open. Voting Starts Aug 13.
William Kwan from Canada has been nominated for a 2020 Noonie in the Technology category. The Noonies are Hacker Noon’s way of getting to know — from a community perspective — what matters in tech today. So, we asked our Noonie Nominees to tell us. Here’s what William had to share.
1. Which 2020 Noonie have you been nominated for?
2. Tell us a bit about yourself.
I graduated with a CS degree from the University of Toronto in 2016, worked a 9-5 for a bit and bootstrapped a SaaS business to $50k revenue. Then, I got really bored, so I dropped everything and raised $70k for a new startup. I started my YouTube channel as a vlog for the startup but then it failed (like most of my projects) and now I’m having a jolly good time training fun and stupid AI’s for the Internet to enjoy.
3. Tell us about the things you make / write / manage / build.
Most of my recent projects are related to AI-generated media/deepfakes since it looks cool when I make videos about it, but I work on whatever I feel like.
4. What are you most excited about right now?
Making the next video better than the last one.
5. What are you worried about right now?
Turning into a vegetable from sitting at my computer all day.
6. What’s the most useful advice you’ve ever given somebody?
I don’t like giving advice. Would rather just show interesting stuff and let people make their own conclusions.
7. How has the pandemic changed your life and/or career
Besides cancelled travel plans, not much. I’m a self-employed guy who works at home most of the time.
8. If we gave you $10 million to invest in one thing right now, where would you put it?
GIC’s, I don’t invest in anything else.
9. What’s an opinion you have that most people don’t agree with?
Coffee is overrated.
10. What or Who are you keeping an eye on in 2020?
I watch a variety of YouTubers, recently my favorites are HealthyGamerGG, Dani, and J Bro.
11. Which apps can’t you live without?
Recently, I got back into League of Legends, Blitz.gg is a lifesaver.
For much the same reasons Hacker Noon decided not to put good ideas behind pop-ups or paywalls — nor abuse your personal data to target you with creepy ads — we also decided that you don’t have to be an influencer or have 50k followers on Twitter to earn the recognition that comes with a 2020 Noonie Nomination.
Make somebody’s day and nominate them to be recognized in the Internet’s most independent and community-driven awards: NOONIES.TECH.