After over a year of development, FundRequest has released a new Blockchain platform built specifically for the funding, claiming, and rewarding of open source contributions. The company aims to introduce a new approach towards open source development that benefits both the developers who are creating the code and the organizations that use it with the overall goal of further driving the applications of open source technology.
“We chose to build FundRequest on the Ethereum Blockchain because it embodies the nature of open source development mixed with the immutable technology of the Blockchain,” said Karel Striegel founder of FundRequest. “The team at FundRequest are open source enthusiasts and we built our platform to solve a need that we saw from our own work at other organizations. We feel like we are doing something that is giving back to developers while also solving a crucial business need for organizations.”
The use of open source platforms and technologies, from Linux to WordPress, has exploded in adoption amongst businesses and industry over the past decade. Open source is often at the ‘bleeding edge’ of software innovation and matches the pace of innovation within the corporate world. Most organizations realize this and turn to open source to develop software solutions and in the US alone, it is estimated that over $60 billion each year is saved by companies using open source technology.
Developers often work on open source projects to contribute to communities and technologies they are passionate about or simply because the resources afforded by crowdsourced solutions are better suited to solve a particular issue. According to a 2016 Future of Open Source Survey the numbers of respondents that made contributions to open source projects was 65 percent, 50 percent higher than it had been since a similar survey conducted in 2010. The uptick in the development of open source projects has caused communities, like Github or StackExchange, to flourish.
Bridging Developers and Business on the Blockchain
On a similar rise, Blockchain systems stand to disrupt intermediaries in marketplaces. FundRequest seeks to bring to users the power of a disruptive Blockchain platform that works in correlation with open source communities.
With FundRequest, users will be given access to a decentralized ecosystem that provides code-enforced guarantees against corruption. Thanks to the immutable distributed ledger of the Ethereum Blockchain coupled with smart-contract governance, clearly coded syntax for transaction processing will nullify vagaries currently present in today’s centralized intermediary verification model. The company’s flexible system utilizes metrics of functionality from projects on open source platforms like Github, supplying this data to smart contracts that autonomously disperse funding per request. Funding is only sent if a project’s functionality can be demonstrated, and will be withheld otherwise.
Many open source problem solving networks utilize communities, members of which resolve issues by providing the best answer, bug fix, or solution to tickets submitted by other users. FundRequest’s plugin will allow users to fund open requests on networks like Github with a fund button. After setting up a Github request ticket, users can use the FundRequest interface to fund them which generates a unique smart contract to manage the payment of funds. Ticket requesting is all managed on the independent networks, whereas the claiming of rewards by contributors is managed solely through the smart contracts generated by the FundRequest platform. After a claim is proven valid all the transactions are processed transparently on the Ethereum Blockchain with a small amount being deducted in exchange for reputation and zero fees going to FundRequest.
FundRequest launched an alpha module of its platform back in September 2017, where users were invited to give feedback to developers to implement improvements and fix bugs. Ahead, FundRequest plans to release version 1.0 of its platform to the Ethereum Testnet in November of 2017 with features including login with Civic, Azrael communication layer between the Blockchain and the backend, and more. Future plans include Github platform integration, a browser-plugin enabled funding option for Github Requests and funded issue resolution, and the ability to claim a reward on the FundRequest platform.
By 2018 FundRequest envisions platform cooperation with additional repositories like bitbucket, and Gitlab; ticketing platforms such as Jira, Asana, and Basecamp; and Q&A communities including StackExchange and Quora.
In 2019 FundRequest will provide HR services, offering them to LinkedIn, Elance and Toptal, in addition to recruitment agencies like TEKsystems, Harvey Nash, and Huxley Banking and Financial Services.
- UC Berkeley Opens New Blockchain Lab – Steve Chen Appointed to Co-Lead Newly Formed Berkeley Blockchain Lab – December 10, 2017
- Peter Vessenes Announces Deluge Network To Support a Safe and Direct Way to Contribute Bitcoin Directly to ICOs – December 5, 2017
- EXMO Launches Token Sale with Blockstarter’s ICO Solution – December 5, 2017
- AdHive, A Blockchain-Based Native Advertising Platform, Engages with WINGS DAO Platform – December 5, 2017
- Perkins Coie Adds SEC Attorney in San Francisco with Fintech and Blockchain Experience – December 5, 2017
- Cryptocurrency Monero Announces Breakthrough Online Shopping Initiative Featuring Top Global Artists’ Music and Merchandise – December 5, 2017
- Bitcoin for a ‘bit’ of Caribbean paradise – December 5, 2017
- With the Launch of SunCoin, Solar Bankers Takes On the World’s Energy Giants – December 4, 2017
- Blockchain News Is Merging With Token Report – November 30, 2017
- Mira launches Pre-ICO for Mira – an Easy and Convenient Way to Buy, Store and Send Cryptocurrency – November 23, 2017
- Dash and KuvaCash Partner to Fight Inflation in Zimbabwe with Cryptocurrency – November 22, 2017
- INS Ecosystem Partners with Ambrosus to Overhaul the Grocery Supply Chain – November 22, 2017
- Global Debt Registry Unveils Collateral Pledge Blockchain Proof of Concept – November 22, 2017
- Ripple Appoints Former New York State Superintendent of Financial Services Benjamin Lawsky to Its Board and Ron Will as CFO – November 22, 2017
- Advised by the Co-Founders of YouTube and Twitch, Theta Announces a Blockchain-based Video Delivery Network – November 22, 2017
- Modex adds top advisor from Google ahead of ICO – November 22, 2017
- Decentralized Ad Exchange AdEx Partners with INK to Handle the World’s First Blockchain-based Ad Auction – November 22, 2017
- Zilliqa Lowers Funding Cap Despite Heavy Demand from Investors – November 22, 2017
- Health Startup Etheal Combines Blockchain Technology with Micro-Incentives to Build a Peer-Reviewed Global List of Health Professionals – November 22, 2017
- Bitquence Rebrands as Ethos.io, Charting a Course to Unlock Crypto and the Future of Investment for the Masses – November 22, 2017
- Eidoo Introduces User Friendly ICO Engine – Allowing Crypto Startups To Launch And Manage Their Own ICOs For Fundraising On The Blockchain – November 22, 2017
- Simdaq Launches Social Platform for Democratisation and Development of Cryptocurrency Trading – November 22, 2017
- Gameflip Shatters FLIP Pre-Sale Goals, Sets Sights on December 4, 2017 ICO – November 22, 2017
- Golden Alliance Gold Mining Launches Token Sale – November 22, 2017
- Genaro and Storj Labs Announce Collaboration and Product Integration – November 22, 2017
- Metal (MTL) Now Available on the Chinese Cryptocurrency Exchange – November 22, 2017
- Mark.space & Jaguar Land Rover Announce Cooperation – November 22, 2017
- Exscudo – EON Testnet Was Successfully Updated – November 22, 2017
- Valorem Foundation Launches All-new Cryptocurrency Platform – November 22, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games – November 22, 2017
- Brave expands Basic Attention Token platform to YouTube – November 22, 2017
- Narrative Launches Blockchain Based Social Network That Puts Revenue In Your Pocket, Not Mark Zuckerberg’s – November 22, 2017
- Gladius Uses Blockchain and Spare Bandwidth to Revolutionize Cyber Security – November 22, 2017
- Indorse Announces Partnership with App Store Cryptocurrency, AppCoins, ahead of MVP Launch – November 22, 2017
- Secutix And The Paléo Festival Nyon Announce The Success Of Their Blockchain Pilot Project – November 22, 2017
- ING launches major addition to blockchain technology: Zero-Knowledge Range Proof solution – November 22, 2017
- Cofound.it Announces Teams Participating in Upcoming Live Crowdsale Event – November 22, 2017
- PUBLIQ goes public: The blockchain and AI company that fights fake news announces the start of its Initial Token Offering – November 22, 2017
- Blockchain for Business SophiaTX Reveals New Details of Platform; Confirms Date for Token Generation Event – November 22, 2017
- BCShop.io Launches Partner Program – November 22, 2017
- World’s First Social Entrepreneurship Platform Moms Avenue Challenges Etsy by Gearing Up With Blockchain – November 21, 2017
- WAX Partners with Xsolla to Offer Its Platform to More Than 2,000 Video Games – November 20, 2017
- Pundi X integrates NEM blockchain to Bring Cryptocurrency Payments Into Retail Stores – November 20, 2017
- Fujitsu Develops Security Technology to Safely Connect Blockchains – November 20, 2017
- Jibrel Network Announces a Highly Successful Pre-sale Round – November 20, 2017
- KRAFTWERK on Blockchain – November 20, 2017
- MintHealth: Empowering Patients to Take Control of their Health and Data via Blockchain Technology – November 20, 2017
- IBM Completes PoC Of Blockchain-based Shared KYC With Deutsche Bank, HSBC, MUFG And Cargill, IBM Treasuries – November 20, 2017
- LetsEnhance.io to process images on Neuromation Platform – November 20, 2017
- Blockchain And AI Researchers Propose A New Model To Return The Control Over Human Life Data To The Patients And Accelerate Biomedical Research – November 20, 2017
View All Articles