After two years in stealth mode, distributed financial platform Wanchain has launched Mainnet, the world’s first platform for private cross-chain smart contracts, according to a statement the company released last week. It plans to incorporate cross-chain transactions with the Ethereum blockchain in Q3 2018.
Wanchain says it wants to rebuild financial services’ infrastructure using cross-blockchain smart contracts with “Monero-style privacy protections”. Eventually, the company believes it will be possible to combine the digital assets of the world onto a single programmable blockchain, which will allow the development of decentralized exchanges, asset management tools, payment and lending applications, stablecoins, and digital asset index funds that are agnostic to the blockchain of the underlying assets.
Before heading up Wanchain, founder Jack Lu’s previous venture was Factom, now a top 30 global cryptocurrency. He said, in a statement: “Tokenization of assets is at its inflection point. With crypto currencies now worth over USD 700 billion, the digital economy is growing wildly, but there is a problem. Digital assets are isolated in their respective blockchains. Wanchain is the first and only platform to unlock the real potential of global digital assets by placing them on a single blockchain. Mainnet is the fundamental first step towards the digital asset hub of tomorrow.”
Although headquartered in Austin, Texas, Wanchain’s technology was built in China and it is registered in Singapore as a non-profit organization (the Wanchain Foundation was initially funded by Wanglu Tech, a for-profit enterprise with investors including River Capital and Fenbushi Capital). According to its statement, the company is effectively building a distributed “bank”, running on an improved and modern framework with proprietary interoperability features.
Dustin Byington, President of Wanchain added, “Digital assets will forever change the financial services industry. When we digitized photographs, we saw soon thereafter the digitization of the camera itself when it became an application on your phone. Now that we have digitized assets, the next step is to digitize the banks themselves by building them as smart contract applications that run on Wanchain.”
To learn more about Wanchain, visit wanchain.org.
- Faceter Announces Surveillance ICO – January 24, 2018
- Wanchain Launches Mainnet: World’s First Platform for Private, Cross-chain Smart Contracts – January 24, 2018
- Arbitrage set for a Shake-up? Arbidex Platform Launches ICO After $6m Presale – January 23, 2018
- Cryptocurrency giant NEO invests $3m in PikcioChain – January 23, 2018
- KodakCoin ties up with Overstock’s tZERO Security Token Trading Platform – January 23, 2018
- BnkToTheFuture Raises $30M in Presale to Add Security Tokens in 2018 – January 22, 2018
- StormX Adds New EVP of Business Development and User Acquisition Head – January 18, 2018
- Retainly Announces New Retail Partners Including Carrefour Brazil, Aliexpress – January 18, 2018
- Jibrel Network Announces jCash for Regulated, Asset-Backed Smart Contracts – January 17, 2018
- Overstock’s tZERO Announces Polymath to Advise ICO on Securities Law – January 16, 2018
- OriginTrail Launches Presale in ICO for Supply Chain Traceability – January 16, 2018
- Lykke Partners With Bangladesh Government – January 15, 2018
- DASH Joins BitINKA for Latin America Crypto Exchange and Remittance – January 13, 2018
- Shopin, iExec Partner to Enhance Retail Consumer Data Experience – January 12, 2018
- Bitnovo Partnership Brings Dash to 10,000 Spanish Retailers – January 11, 2018
- Crypto Valley Association Releases ICO ‘Code of Conduct’ – January 11, 2018
- Kodak and WENN Digital Announce ICO to Put Photo Licensing on the Blockchain – January 11, 2018
- Gibraltar Exchange Announces ICO for Regulated Token Sale and Exchange Platform – January 10, 2018
- Voatz Raises $2.2M Seed Funding With Overstock’s Medici Ventures – January 9, 2018
- BABB Names New CIO From UK’s Aldermore Bank – January 7, 2018
- OmiseGO CEO Joins Electrify.Asia Advisory Board – January 4, 2018
- Crypterium ICO Reports 50,000 Participants – January 4, 2018
- Proof of Steak: BeefCoin Wants More Organic Meat in Moscow – January 3, 2018
- Pundi X Announces Point-of-Sale Hardware Ahead of ICO – January 3, 2018
- SyncFab Supply Chain Token Presale Launches – January 3, 2018
- WINGS Launches Beta Testnet for Crowdsourcing ICO Evaluation – January 3, 2018
View All Articles