June 6th 2020
Software development or programming is not easy until you are a hardcore programmer. A while back, programmers had to code on dull command prompt screens, run the code on a separate compiler then debug it on some third platform. Today, although, programming needs the same dedication and efforts, it has become easier to code, compile, and debug in the same environment. All thanks to IDE-Integrated Development Environment platforms, which enable coders to perform all the major functions of programming in one place.
What is IDE?
IDE is an abbreviation for Integrated Development Environment. What does it mean, what are its features and how is it beneficial? Find it here.
Software development services today use IDE platforms to program and develop solutions. An IDE comes with an inbuilt source code editor, compiler, and debugger. It makes programming 10 times easier, accurate, and effective. The code is written on the source code editor, the compiler is for running the programs and the debugger notifies the errors in the code. Besides these three main features, IDE also consists of object and data modeling, unit testing, the source code library, and a lot more.
Some of the popular IDEs are for languages like Python, Java, C, C++, R, PHP etc. and have inbuilt intelligent features that can complete the code on their own! Isn’t it amazing? Of course yes.
Here are some IDEs which are trending in 2020.
- Support for Debugging
- Syntax highlighting
- Intelligent Code completion, snippets, and code refactoring
- Embedded Git Control
- Complete portability
- Easy customization
Initially used for Java programming, Eclipse is another famous IDE that is now also used for C, C++, Python, COBOL, Perl, PHP etc. It is another favourite platform as it is open source and runs on various OS like Windows, MAC and Linux. The programmers can also report the bug on Eclipse’s official website if they experience any issue while using the platform. Eclipse rolled out its latest version 4.15 in March 2020 and will soon release the next update in coming months.
- User friendly graphical Interface with drag-and-drop functionality
- Supports static code analysis
- Intelligent code completion
- Productivity Boosters
- Git integration
- Cross-platform support
- Rich Community
- Cross-platform support
- Rich set of plugins
- Supports multiple programming languages
- Simple and efficient project management
- Smart code editing
- Large support community
Aptana Studio 3
The leading web development IDE Aptana, was rebuilt to Aptana studio 3 to provide much better features to the users. Its latest version comes with a code assist for HTML5, Ruby, CSS, JavaScrit and PHP. Aptana Studio 3 also offers multiple protocols including FTP, SFTP, FTPS and Capistrano and automatically publishes your Ruby on Rails applications to hosting services. From a minor platform, the updated version has risen to a powerful web development engine supporting many useful features for the programmers.
Additional features include:
- You can collaborate with team members using merge, pull and push actions.
- It also facilitates git-based deployments.
- It quickly accesses a command line terminal for execution of operating system commands and language utilities such as gem, rake, etc.
- It allowes you to setup your development environment in your own way by extending the core capabilities through command customization.
It’s main features are:
- Easy navigation
- Code auto-completion
- Inbuilt debugging and testing tools
- Quick and secure refactoring.
Major features include:
- Intelligent code assistance like autocomplete,
quick checks, on-the-fly error highlighting
- Offers web development frameworks like Django,
Flask, Web2py, Pyramid etc.
- Supports multiple scientific packages including
matplotlib and NumPy.
- You can Run, debug, test, and deploy applications
on remote hosts
- Comes with built-in developer tools