A comprehensive tutorial for plotting focal mechanism “beach-balls” using the PyGMT package for Python. The walk-through covers downloading focal mechanism data from the SCEDC, conditioning the data, creating a postscript legend, and plotting everything on a map.
– Offsetting “beach-balls” from their point of origin
– Scaling “beach-balls” by magnitude
– Coloring “beach-balls” by depth
– Plotting label text above each “beach-ball”
– Controlling the size of the label text
– Automatically downloading an SRTM DEM
– Creating a postscript legend file
Learning new things and sharing them
Create your free account to unlock your custom reading experience.