The Grid Foundation has officially launched development of a new ‘Cloud Operating System’ that will act as a central hub for all Blockchains and lay a foundation for the development of new types of cross-chain enterprise applications. The project is being developed by Hoopox a software development firm which has received $5.2 million in funding so far in 2017 for the project.
Blockchain-based systems are quickly igniting the hopes of businesses and investors alike who are looking to the horizon and seeking to reap the benefits of up and coming technologies. The disruptive potential of Blockchain platforms to deliver unto businesses a means of outsourcing middlemen to code-governed automated platforms continues to lure the attention, and capital, of central banks, industry moguls, and regulatory bodies. Virtually every private and public sector enterprise has a team working to develop or integrate a Blockchain powered system.
As industry players explore the potential of new technology, Blockchain-based platforms are undeniably the talk of the town. It is the same technology famous for powering bitcoin and ethereum networks, and Blockchain systems feature a robust series of consensus protocols and distributed databases free from single points of failure. While bitcoin opened the door to this realm of technology, the ethereum virtual machine built on the shoulders of the idea of the bitcoin network with the development of smart contracts that can manage value transfer and settle payments with an ‘atomic swap’ or instant exchange. The ethereum virtual machine runs in many ways like a rudimentary Operating System, but as of now faces challenges before it can truly be called such.
Based in Singapore, the Grid Foundation has a plan to rise to the complicated task of generating a modular business-ready Blockchain powered solution. In much the same way that ethereum builds on the merits of the bitcoin Blockchain, the Grid Foundation seeks to develop an interoperable Blockchain based Operating System (OS) that scales to meet marketplace needs. The system starts with a hyper efficient deployment of a Grid Kernel structured with Blockchain systems logic; a modularized minimum viable Blockchain. Users interface with an interactive shell to deploy either Grid’s complete Blockchain OS, or develop their own custom OS. Developers can use the OS to generate specific configurations, allowing them to deploy customized Blockchains suited to a Dapp’s correlating needs.
Grid will implement parallel processing, similar to segmented processing or sharding, to ramp up transaction throughput. In addition, rather than bog one chain by deploying every smart contract to it, Grid takes a different route. More compact Side Chains on Grid’s Blockchain OS will be designed to hold only one smart contract to maximize performance, each customized to handle a variety of specific transaction types. Isolated Side Chains can manage different business interests without colluding sensitive data with a public facing ecosystem. Since they are designed to handle one type of transaction with a single native smart contract, adding specific Side Chains to a deployed Grid Blockchain OS enables users to curate highly customizable features while cutting the fat of unnecessary resource intensive ones. The OS allows for private Blockchains to have no trouble interfacing with the Grid ecosystem and accessing the Grid user base.
Grid makes use of dynamic indexing to facilitate interaction between the Main Chain and Side Chains. A Merkle tree provides a layer of separation between the Side Chain and Main Chain, allowing both to co-exist without directly interacting. This makes it possible to add or exclude Side Chains in a Grid system as needed without any issues.
To incentivize good behavior in the network, Grid Tokens are introduced as a means of value storage and transfer. As a universally accepted means of value transfer across interconnected Blockchains encompassed in the Grid ecosystem, Grid Tokens make possible contract execution and cross-chain value exchange. A marketplace forms when the Side Chain becomes economically unviable, at which point the Main Chain reserves the right to cease indexing that chain, or allow competition between Side Chains offering the same service. Transaction fees are, in turn, dynamic to reflect to meritocratic contribution values of differing Side Chains.
Grid will run a Delegated Proof of Stake (DPoS) protocol on the Main Chain that pays large-scale stakeholders to uphold the system for high speed, while for side chains, developers and companies can choose the suitable Consensus (PoW/ PoS/ DPoS) depending on their needs. Consensus protocols on Grid are designed to be highly customizable to suit a variety of business use-cases e.g. interbank transfer may be based on DPoS, while e-identity may be based on PoW, etc.
Grid’s Blockchain OS resolves cross-chain timing with a two-fold protocol. A hierarchical Side Chain mechanism categorizes block formation speed metrics, while a dedicated adapting side chain, or other such module, carries out cross-level chain transactions across various levels of the chain. To provide a guarantee mechanism, verifications on a slower chain are proven via the main chain. This optional mechanism effectively enhances cross-chain transaction throughput to meet business-competent levels.
The company strives to drive commercial adoption forward and has identified financial services, insurance, digital identity, IoT and smart city development, as possible industries that could benefit from the deployment of a Blockchain OS. Towards this effort Grid seeks to identify interoperable DAPPs, startup ideas, and established companies seeking to branch into the foray of Blockchain technology as ecosystem participants.
Grid’s future focus is that of continued evolution and the team seeks to develop technologies that will provide overall benefits to everyone developing in the ecosystem. By creating a vast interoperable network that emphasizes community growth through the use of diverse customized and non-resource intensive Blockchains Grid hopes to help users and developers engage a wider scale level of cooperation in the crypto-industry.
- Grid Foundation unveils an Enterprise ‘Cloud Operating System’ for All Blockchains – October 23, 2017
- Cashaa welcomes Central bankers, MIT scientists and Fortune Top 500 Leaders for its CAS token sale – October 23, 2017
- Sun Exchange Raises $1.6 Million Seed Investment to Catalyze Global Shift to Solar Power – October 22, 2017
- Brickblock And Nakamo.to Announce Partnership To Fuse Real-world Asset Trading With The Potential Of IOTA’s Tangle Network – October 22, 2017
- Wirex inks deal with SBI Holdings to establish Asia focussed joint venture – Japanese cryptocurrency payments card expected soon – October 22, 2017
- CrowdWiz successfully raises over $5 million in its pre sale to bring democracy to investing by cutting out the middleman – October 22, 2017
- Soma – launches ICO to tackle marketplace fraud and disrupt the $1.7 trillion global second-hand goods industry – October 22, 2017
- LiveEdu.tv Launches ICO and Announces Presale – October 22, 2017
- Yetta announces ICO of European Commission funded Blockchain Research and Development – October 22, 2017
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain – October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE – October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime – October 19, 2017
- Playkey Brings in $1 Million in Pre-Sale Campaign and Welcomes Dillon Seo as VR Advisor – October 19, 2017
- SolarCoin Founders Introduce New Blockchain-Based Network for Global, Decentralized Energy Trading – October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan’s Lendex.io plans ICO in early 2018 – October 19, 2017
- Swissborg – The Blockchain Era of Swiss Private Banking – Announced ICO – October 19, 2017
- Bank4YOU Group’s launches ICO end of October – Investors Call to Action – October 19, 2017
- Live Pre-sale of Trive: Fights Fake News Using Cryptocurrency and Crowdsourced Research – October 19, 2017
- A New Ozone Layer? Arcona Plans for Augmented Reality Layer to Cover Earth Surface in new AR project – October 19, 2017
- Cofound.it Introduces Seed Program for Early Blockchain Startups – October 19, 2017
- LOOMIA Announces Collaboration With Storj Labs, Introduces Smart Fabrics and Consumer Data to Blockchain Technology – October 19, 2017
- DECENT Launches Beta Release of DECENT GO, The First Decentralized Marketplace for Digital Content – October 19, 2017
- Orebits Corporation, Inc. Announces Orebits Pool, LLC and Orebits.AU Eco-System – October 19, 2017
- Pareto – the Peer to Peer Financial Content Marketplace Announces Token Sale – October 19, 2017
- Appsolutely Launches the LoyalPlatform, LoyalCoin and LoyalWallet; Using Blockchain to Usher in the New “Loyalty Economy” – October 19, 2017
- Eidoo Raises $27.9m In Successful ICO To Bridge The Cryptocurrency Gap And Open The World Of Digital Currencies To The Masses – October 19, 2017
- Malta-based RoboAdvisorCoin (RAC) Launches Token Sale for Robo-Advisor Dedicated to Cryptocurrencies and Digital Assets – October 19, 2017
- BLOCKv Announces the Availability of VEE Tokens Through Its Upcoming Token Generation Event – Open to Public on October 19, 2017 – October 19, 2017
- The Fundchain initiative starts again this year with new Research & Development roadmap for the investment fund industry – October 19, 2017
- Digital Cryptocurrency Vault DigiPulse Reaches $1 million in Token Sale – October 19, 2017
- Tickets Cloud Kicks off crypto.tickets ICO – October 19, 2017
- Ex-JP Morgan Vice President Dr Joseph Chen-Yu Wang Joins Ambrosus as Project Manager – October 19, 2017
- Russian Wood for Cryptocurrency – Timber! – October 19, 2017
- Proof Suite Announces Token Sale for Blockchain Platform Designed to Tokenize and Insure Real World Assets – October 19, 2017
- DataWallet Announces Blockchain-Based, Consumer-to-Business Data Exchange – October 19, 2017
- IEEE Releases Findings from First Detailed Study of Blockchain Adoption in the Pharmaceutical Enterprise – October 19, 2017
- Horizon State Launches Token Sale to Modernize Global Voting and Collaborative Decision Making – October 19, 2017
- Metaps Plans to Launch Time Marketplace ‘Timebank’ Token Sale on COMSA – October 19, 2017
- Lykke Vanuatu brings Binary.com tokens to Lykke Vanuatu Exchange – October 19, 2017
- After raising $15M in a pre-sale, BitClave is ramping up for its Nov 8 crowdsale, and its plans to redefine the search experience – October 19, 2017
- Kazakhstan Is About To Launch The First Cryptocurrency, Directly Backed By Fiat Money – October 19, 2017
- Positive.com launches to protect Initial Coin Offerings from cyber attack – October 19, 2017
- Latium Launches LATX Cryptocurrency Token Sale for Participation in AI-Based Tasking Platform – October 18, 2017
- IBM Announces Major Blockchain Solution to Speed Global Payments – October 18, 2017
- Launch of SMSCHAIN, a Blockchain-based SMS Gateway – October 18, 2017
- Streamr Concludes a 30 Million CHF Crowd Contribution Period to Build Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy – October 18, 2017
- Publica Building New eCommerce Platform for the Publishing Ecosystem – Token Sale Coming Soon – October 18, 2017
- BLOCKv Partners with Storj Labs to Provide Decentralized Storage Architecture and New Toolsets to Power Next Generation Digital Objects – October 18, 2017
- Coinme Announces the Start of the UpToken Sale Today With Over $40 Million USD in Pre-Registration Signups – October 18, 2017
- Blockbid Announces Launch Of ICO Backed By Multi-Cryptocurrency Trading Platform – October 18, 2017
View All Articles