Hyperledger has announced a new project called Quilt. Kicked off under wraps around 18 months ago and is an implementation of the Interledger protocol. Interledger, also known as ILP, is a protocol for making transactions across ledgers. The protocol’s standards and specifications are being defined by the open source community under the World Wide Web Consortium umbrella.
As an open consortium, Hyperledger incubates a range of business blockchain technologies, including distributed ledger frameworks, smart contract engines, client libraries, graphical interfaces, utility libraries and sample applications. Quilt is the latest project to join this vast community.
What is Hyperledger Quilt?
Hyperledger Quilt offers interoperability between ledger systems by implementing ILP, which is primarily a payments protocol and is designed to transfer value across systems – both distributed ledgers and non-distributed ledgers. It is a simple protocol that establishes a global namespace for accounts, as well as, a protocol for synchronized atomic swaps between different systems.
Ledger systems today are siloed and disconnected. Transfers of value are relatively easy within one country, or if the sender and recipient have accounts on the same network or ledger. But sending value to someone on a different network or ledger is complex and often impractical. Where connections between ledgers do exist, they are manual, slow or expensive.
The Interledger protocol is based on concepts dating back to the 1970s and 1980s, but it took the advent of Bitcoin and the global blockchain movement to make the world realize that money and value transfers could be reinvented with Internet based technologies.
Internet protocols enable information to be packetized, routed and delivered over communication networks. With ILP, money and other forms of value can be packetized, routed and delivered over payment networks and ledgers. Hyperledger Quilt is an enterprise grade implementation of the protocol, developed in Java, and providing libraries and reference implementations of the core Interledger components and in time ledger integrations for other Hyperledger projects.
Technical Details of Quilt
The idea is that Quilt will become a ledger interoperability solution for Hyperledger projects. This will enable Hyperledger members’ distributed ledger solutions, financial institutions’ private ledgers, IoT companies’ wallets, and supply chain systems to connect with one another to perform distributed atomic transactions.
By implementing the Interledger protocol, Quilt provides:
- A set of rules for enabling ledger interoperability with basic escrow semantics
- A standard for a ledger-independent address format and data packet format that will enable connectors to route payments
- A framework for designing higher level use-case-specific protocols
Who will work on Quilt?
Everis, NTT DATA and Ripple are committing full-time engineering resources to ensure the success of this project. The main contributors will include Takahiro Inaba (NTT DATA), Adrian Hope-Bailie (Ripple) and Isaac Arruebarrena (Everis, an NTT DATA Company).
Many other members have already expressed interest in backing the development of Quilt’s Java implementation. This team will seek to work with the other Hyperledger projects in order to find ways to enable ledger interoperability across Hyperledger’s DLT solutions and institutions’ centralised ledgers. Other engineers from NTT DATA, Everis and Ripple will also contribute to the project over time. Members of the Interledger Payments Community Group have also shown interest in contributing to the development of this ILP implementation.
Getting started with Quilt
There will be repositories on GitHub to manage Quilt resources – they will become available over the next several weeks. You can watch for them here: hyperledger/quilt and hyperledger/quilt-crypto-conditions.
Quilt is an exciting addition for the Hyperledger community and they encourage developers to join efforts on Quilt as well as other projects, via github, Rocket.Chat, the wiki or the mailing lists. You can also follow Hyperledger on Twitter.
- SportyFi – Decentralized Sports Investment Start-up Endorsed by Soccer Superstar Roberto Carlos – October 16, 2017
- Acronis Joins Runa Capital and Parallels In Accelerating Innovation and Supporting Blockchain Initiatives in Malta – October 16, 2017
- Jaxx Allows First Crowdsale Participation with STORM Token – October 16, 2017
- Hyperledger Knits New Project – Hyperledger Quilt – October 16, 2017
- Legolas Exchange Partners With BanQix to Protect Institutional Investors – October 16, 2017
- MARK.SPACE Announces Launch Of Blockchain-powered VR-platform With Upcoming Token Crowdsale – October 16, 2017
- IRTI Partners With Ateon And Settlemint To Develop Blockchain-based Products For Financial Inclusion – October 16, 2017
- Golden Alliance Coin Announces ICO – For Mining Gold – October 16, 2017
- Media Aggregator Esports Gold Announces $5 Million Ethereum Token Sale – October 16, 2017
- MinexCoin: Park the Volatility! – October 16, 2017
- Ambrosus Token Generation Event (TGE) Officially Cracks the Largest Blockchain Crowdfunded Projects in History – October 15, 2017
- Freedom Streaming Announces An ICO For The First Uncensored And Anonymous Live Streaming Platform – October 14, 2017
- MicroMoney starts a $30,000,000 token distribution campaign – October 14, 2017
- Announcing the First Members of the DataBrokerDAO Alliance – October 14, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announce Global Advisory Board – Token Sale – October 14, 2017
- Zilliqa Breaks 2,400 Transactions per Second with their ‘Sharding’ Blockchain – October 13, 2017
- Dappbase Launches High-Performance Infrastructure for Decentralized App Developers – October 13, 2017
- bitJob Raises $2 Million to Launch Decentralized Platform for Student Employment – October 13, 2017
- Particl Unveils Its Confidential Cryptocurrency Transactions – October 13, 2017
- Waves To Develop “liquid Democracy” Applications – October 13, 2017
- DECENT Updates Core – New User Issued Assets and More – October 13, 2017
- Dash for Dope – Digital Payments Platform Alt Thirty Six Selects Dash As Payment Method of Choice for New Retail Sectors – October 13, 2017
- Garvan Institute And E-nome Enter Strategic Alliance To Enhance Medical Research Data Management Through Blockchain Tech – October 13, 2017
- Moody’s: New Payment Technologies Pose Threat, But Incumbents Unlikely To Be Displaced – October 13, 2017
- ZAP Token Distribution Event to Begin October 21, 2017 – October 12, 2017
- AirFox Raises $15 Million in Successful ICO, Brings New Mobile Banking Solutions to Emerging Markets – October 12, 2017
- HydroMiner Token Sale Starts October 18th – Austrian Regulators Approve – October 12, 2017
- The SBM Group and SALT Technology Enter Exploratory Partnership to Collateralize Blockchain Assets – October 12, 2017
- ExHasta: Integrating and Empowering Innovators – Announces Token Sale – October 12, 2017
- Tech Veterans Set Up Global Public Offering Fund To Turn Top U.S. Startups Into Asia-Pacific Listed Unicorns – October 11, 2017
- ZenCash Partners With Welto to Allow Bill Payment in Cryptocurrency – October 11, 2017
- Cryptopay Plans to Tie Investments to Service Performance Metrics – October 11, 2017
- Boosteroid Wants to Squeeze Google and Amazon on the Cloud Computing Market – October 11, 2017
- Fiinu Launches Pre-sale Ahead Of ICO – October 11, 2017
- Famous Russia-based startup BioCoin closes first round of presale with $2.5 mln raised – October 11, 2017
- eSports Platform EloPlay to Hold a Token Sale – October 11, 2017
- CapLinked Partners With Storj Labs, Moves Enterprise Document Management to Blockchain Technology – October 11, 2017
- Ethfinex and Cofound.it Collaborate to Bring Trust to Blockchain Economy – October 11, 2017
- Exscudo launches Bug Bounty campaign – October 11, 2017
- Blockchain Capital and TaaS Join BLOCKv, a User Interface for Blockchain Tokens – October 11, 2017
- Lufthansa Group Partners Up With Winding Tree To Bring Blockchain Technology To The Travel Industry – October 10, 2017
- Peer Mountain Launches Distributed System of Trust to Give Data Control Back to Consumers – October 10, 2017
- Revolutionary Ico Aimed At Tackling Waste Surplus And Energy Shortfall Announced – October 10, 2017
- Streamr, the Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Joins the Trusted IoT Alliance – October 10, 2017
- Exscudo and Crypto.Tickets exclusive partnership opens a new market for cryptocurrency – October 10, 2017
- Guardian Circle Turns to Blockchain for Global Decentralized 9-1-1 Emergency Response – October 10, 2017
- NEM Foundation Partners with Metaps Plus, Expanding Korean Presence – October 10, 2017
- StormX Lowers Community Appreciation Sale Cap Due to Overwhelming Demand – October 10, 2017
- Token Report to Provide Membership Access to World’s Largest Database on ICOs – October 10, 2017
- BLOCKv Adds Visionary Futurist Peter Diamandis and Serial Entrepreneur and Investor Gil Penchina to its Advisory Board – October 10, 2017
View All Articles