Today I would like to take you on a journey through the Ukrainian IT landscape. We will discuss one of the biggest questions every startup faces: whether freelance developers are better than a web development studio. And I will prove that Ukrainian developers are at the top of the worldwide IT outsourcing rankings.
Why Choose Ukrainian IT Outsourcing Companies?
Ukraine is the No1 choice among IT outsourcing countries for startups on a $10,000 budget. IT companies in Ukraine rival competitive providers from India, Russia, Belarus, South America, and Africa in a number of critical ways:
- Software development in Ukraine ensures easy access and allows for visa-free travels to EU.
- Middle and senior level developers are fluent enough in English for comfortable communication.
- The average Ukrainian rate of $22–40 per hour is 3 to 4 times lower compared to any software development company in the UK, the USA, etc.
- Ukraine is among the top software outsourcing destinations according to International Association of Outsourcing Professionals (IAOP).
- Сompanies offer the full range of software development outsourcing services, provide turnkey solutions, ongoing maintenance, and support.
- There is a variety of capital and regional outsourcing providers with different expertise and rates.
- High-quality development efforts are commended by industry experts and clients alike.
- App developers in Ukraine have worked on projects for Intel, Siemens, IBM, HP, Google, Philips, etc.
- Contract security is often ensured by as earned payments.
Ukrainian developers prove themselves reliable partners as compared to specialists from other countries. For example, one of FreshCode’s clients had to terminate the contract with an Indian team that failed to provide high-quality results and missed the agreed upon deadlines. As a result, our team was chosen to work on the project that resulted in a success for our client and a positive review for our portfolio.
So if you have a groundbreaking idea and a small budget, FreshCode is ready to provide a free consult. We will share our insight on turning an idea into a product, provide an estimate, and answer all questions. Call us or use the contact form to get in touch.
How To Choose Between Freelance Developers And An Web Development Firm?
Startups with limited budgets face the choice between an IT outsourcing provider and freelance developers, regardless of their country of origin. Both approaches have shown promising results for established enterprises and aspiring businesses. However, there are certain aspects of hiring an outsourcing team you should know to make the right choice for your business. Let’s consider each approach.
If you hire software developers through freelance marketplaces and put them together to work on your project, you can expect certain advantages:
- You can snatch a real expert, if you are lucky, though they are often overwhelmed with orders.
- You can enjoy a lower rate compared to hiring a dedicated team, therefore, save your project’s budget.
- You can replace any of the developers without risking the project.
- The team can start working on the project immediately.
On the downside, you can’t expect:
- Any guarantees as to the work’s quality and timeframe.
- A chance to raise a claim in case of any problems with the project after it’s done.
- Ongoing maintenance of the project after launch.
- Any backups in case one of the freelance developers becomes unavailable.
- Any legal leverage to influence freelancers in case they divulge proprietary information or leave the project without notice.
- Developers to perform project management tasks, so they will fall on you.
If you hire an IT software outsourcing company, you may count on:
- A full range of IT services, from business analysis to a finished product development and its ongoing maintenance.
- A pool of middle and senior-level developers from which you can choose specialists with the skill set and experience to suit your project.
- Legal arrangements with the company taking full responsibility for the quality of the product and proprietary information confidentiality.
- A fast replacement for the developers who become unavailable.
- Reliable advice from the web application development company’s specialists ranging from UI/UX design to code architecture.
- A project manager to coordinate the work of the team and establish transparent and efficient communication.
The disadvantages of working with an established outsourcing company are:
- The rate is 10% to 15% higher compared to freelance developers.
- Some companies establish a minimum budget for their projects.
- A longer preparation period between the query and the start of the development.
- Sometimes companies can be booked solid and refuse your project.
- Some companies have corporate policies clients have to follow.
These are the critical advantages and disadvantages of working with independent freelancers and an offshore software development company. Experienced business owners are sure to have more pros and cons for both approaches. I would appreciate it if you would share your thoughts on the matter via Facebook or email.
Startups outsource web development depending on their technical and financial resources. However, if you are working on your first or second project, if you are not a technical specialist, and if you don’t have project management experience, I recommend you go with IT outsourcing companies. It will make your life so much easier every step of the way and protect you from common pitfalls. Besides, the full stack development company will provide you with a Tech Lead (an experienced developer with a firm grasp of current technologies) to support the development. Moreover, if you need to update or improve the project in the future, the company can provide maintenance according to your requirements.
So answer honestly: Are the 10–15% of budget savings worth the time and effort you will have to spare to create and manage the team of freelancers?
If you choose to handpick and hire an outsourcing team one by one, and manage the project personally, take a look at our useful step-by-step guide.
How To Find Ukrainian Outsourcing Companies For Startups With A $10,000 Budget
Step 1. Avoid The Capital And Pursue Regional Companies
Large IT vendors will not suit your needs. If your budget is only 10,000 to 15,000 USD, and you have 2 to 3 months to get your idea off the ground, I suggest you steer clear of large providers and concentrate on smaller companies.
Kyiv-based companies are not the best choice if your budget is limited. Regional development agencies offer lower rates, as they get fewer clients, though their quality is on par with the capital-based companies. Startups should look for partners with up to 150 employees offering a full range of services, including
- Web development;
- Mobile development for iOS and Android;
- UI/UX Design;
- Quality Assurance.
Step 2. Choose The Right Search Strategies
There are three ways for you to get in touch with small and medium-scale Ukrainian outsourcing providers:
- Freelance marketplaces
- Corporate websites
- Other communication channels, i.e., networking, roadshows.
Researching IT Software Outsourcing Companies Through Freelance Marketplaces
For 70% of Ukrainian outsourcing companies, freelance marketplaces are the only source of clients. You can find dozens of offers on websites like Upwork and Freelancer from small and medium-scale eCommerce web development providers. Freelance marketplaces promote competition, making the development rates manageable for most startups. These websites provide information about the company’s rating and allow you to view reviews from previous customers before contacting a front end web developer or any other specialist.
Due to competitive conditions, many Ukrainian companies leave Upwork and prefer to market through corporate websites, so you should also review them before making a decision.
Researching Software Outsourcing Companies Through Corporate Websites
Websites provide insight into the company’s experience and expertise through blog articles, case studies, and testimonials. To ensure the vendors’ integrity and professionalism, check their profiles at Clutch, GoodFirm, Angel.co, CrunchBase, and others. I recommend you read our 6-step guide on choosing the perfect custom software development company to make an educated decision.
Getting In Touch With Ukrainian IT Companies Through Other Channels
There are several other ways to reach the outsourcing company. You can:
- Reach out to the web development company’s CEO or CTO via LinkedIn or Facebook.
- Visit IT trade shows and conventions to network with local agents of outsourcing companies from all over the world.
- Ask your social circle for a recommendation if have connections among the IT crowd.
Ready To Try IT Outsourcing In Ukraine?
Did you enjoy our quick foray into the outsourcing development market in Ukraine? If so, share the article on social media and subscribe for FreshCode blog updates! While you wait, check out our previous posts, you might find them equally useful.