The project Play4Privacy (P4P) explains Blockchain technology by playing games in the public space and thereby collects money for privacy organisations like epicenter.works and the new NGO of Max Schrems.
In the first two days more than 10,000 Euros (38.18 Ether) have been collected. The fundraising continues until November 15th 2017.
Experiencing the Blockchain playfully
Whereas cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin are on everyone’s lips, hardly anybody understands the underlying technology Blockchain, which not only offers ways to build decentralised peer-to-peer payment networks, but could potentially eliminate any central authority running an online service such as a social network or chat application.
This October the Blockchain incubator lab10 collective, based in Graz, Austria introduced the Blockchain and its paradigms to a wider audience in a – literally – playful manner. “Our goal is to improve the understanding of Blockchain in the population”, explains Thomas Lechner, product owner of Play4Privacy.
Each game (like Chess or Go) can be seen as a succession of decisions, which – once made – cannot be reversed. The same is true for the Blockchain. As soon as a decision is made (consensus), it is added to the Blockchain as a new block, and can never be changed again (finality). Consensus and finality are two of the main principles of the Blockchain, along with transparent anonymity.
To demonstrate the latter, the team around Thomas turned the light-facade of the Museum of Modern Art in Graz into a game board for the strategy game Go.
Every evening, people from all over the world, split into two teams, played online. Based on a consensus-generating algorithm, each team placed their stones. All players who participated in deciding the next move earned a reward: a so-called PLAY-token that doubles as a crypto-currency.
All moves were transparently shown on the lit-up museum façade as well as on the live-stream and thus visible for everyone. In this manner, players as well as spectators get to experience how the Blockchain works – namely as an anonymously distributed network with a public database that is difficult to be cheated, but which is still not subject to central control.
Crypto tokens to support the fight for privacy
As part of the concept, for every token mined, a supplement coin is generated to be distributed to donors supporting charity organisations fighting for privacy. In the course of the last four weeks, a pool of almost half a million PLAY tokens was collected and is ready to be shared amongst all supporters of Play4Privacy.
100% of the collected funds go to the NGO epicenter.works (https://epicenter.works/) and the new organisation founded by Max Schrems, an Austrian lawyer, author, and privacy activist who became known for campaigns against Facebook for privacy violation. “Privacy is a fundamental right. Europe has stringent privacy laws, but we lack enforcement. With our new project we would like to close this gap and apply the method of strategic litigation to bring privacy to the people.”, says Max Schrems with regards to the project and its goal to create awareness for privacy.
Thomas Lohninger, Executive Director at epicenter.works added:
“When politicians fail, epicenter works. Our NGO protects fundamental rights online. We help citizens make their voices heard when the parliament doesn’t want to listen. Our victories include abolishing data retention in front of the EU High Court and establishing net neutrality protections for half a billion people in the EU.”
Even before the public game had started, 38 Ether (approx. 10,000 €) worth of donations were collected within 48 hours. Until November 15th 2017, there is another op
- Korea’s Online Banking Security Get’s a Blockchain Powered Upgrade – November 3, 2017
- Simple Token Announces Advisory Board, Token Sale Milestones – November 3, 2017
- Energi Mine Launches Blockchain-Based Platform to Reward Energy Conservation with Cryptocurrency – November 3, 2017
- DMarket Launches Product Alpha/DEMO – Extends Token Presale – November 3, 2017
- AdHive, a mass-scale native video advertising platform announcing ICO – November 3, 2017
- Play4privacy: Playing On The Blockchain To Raise Money For Privacy – November 3, 2017
- Kochava Introduces Blockchain-Based Digital Advertising Platform – November 3, 2017
- Caviar Announces Real Estate and Crypto Backed Token, Crowdfunding Platform. Pre-Sale Begins November 28, 2017 – November 2, 2017
- FundRequest launches a Blockchain Incentive Platform for Open Source Projects – November 1, 2017
- TetzelCoin Launches SIN Token to Tokenize Forgiveness – November 1, 2017
- STK Global Payments Launches Pre-sale – November 1, 2017
- Play2Live – Decentralized Streaming Platform for Gamers and eSports Fans Announces Token Sale – November 1, 2017
- BookMaker.eu Becomes First Online Gaming Industry Site to Accept 60+ Cryptocurrencies – October 30, 2017
- Ammbr and Verif-y Cut Deal to Bring Self-Sovereign Digital Identity to Emerging Markets – October 29, 2017
- Telegraf Money ICO – The First Interactive Auction ICO – October 28, 2017
- Cashaa Partners with Airbitz for Secure and Speedy Global Payments – October 28, 2017
- Russian Vnesheconombank And UETP Trading Platform Signed An Agreement On Development Of Europe’s First Blockchain Based Project In E-procurement – October 28, 2017
- Storj Labs Announces STORJ Tokens Now Listed on Poloniex Exchange for Trading – October 28, 2017
- Healthbase – The Launch Of A New Blockchain Project Promising To Advance Health Research – October 28, 2017
- Seeds Token Sale Lets You Ask the Blockchain for Help – October 28, 2017
- Templum Raises $2.7 Million to Launch Platform for Regulatory Compliant ICOs as Securities – October 28, 2017
- Crypto Derivatives Exchange WandX to Launch Token Sale – October 28, 2017
- LiveTree Announces Token Sale for Community-Powered Film, TV and Content Network based on Blockchain Technology – October 28, 2017
- MailTime Hits 5M Downloads, Launches MDT Token to Reward Users for Sharing Data – October 28, 2017
- Enigma and KyberNetwork Partner To Expand Blockchain & Crypto-Asset Adoption – October 28, 2017
- PUBLIQ Reveals How Blockchain and AI Can Fix the Issue of Fake News – October 28, 2017
- Bancor Welcomes Second Smart Token – STORM tokens join network for autonomously convertible cryptocurrencies – October 28, 2017
- Etherisc Launches Blockchain-powered Flight Delay Insurance For Devcon 3 In Mexico – October 28, 2017
- Decentralized Bank-as-a-Service Enterprise, BANKEX, Announces Balanc3 as Advisor – October 28, 2017
- Russian Bank to Offer Cryptocurrency Exchange to Fiat for Russians – October 28, 2017
- KyberNetwork and WAX Announce Partnership – October 28, 2017
- TaaS Fund Backs Up Neuromation, The Universal Marketplace Of Neural Network Development – October 27, 2017
- Singapore Retail Group iFashion Closes MegaX Token Presale – Raises over USD $2M – October 27, 2017
- Bloq Announces Metronome: World’s First Cross-Blockchain Cryptocurrency – October 24, 2017
- Charity Meet & Greet with Ronaldo Auctioned for Bitcoin – October 24, 2017
- Bitcoin Nonprofit BITGIVE Launches GiveTrack Beta at Money2020 – October 24, 2017
- Blockchain LegalTech startup Agrello partners with online-id verifier Veriff – October 24, 2017
- Under 1 in 10 Post-ICO Tokens are Actively Used – October 24, 2017
- Grid Foundation unveils an Enterprise ‘Cloud Operating System’ for All Blockchains – October 23, 2017
- Cashaa welcomes Central bankers, MIT scientists and Fortune Top 500 Leaders for its CAS token sale – October 23, 2017
- Sun Exchange Raises $1.6 Million Seed Investment to Catalyze Global Shift to Solar Power – October 22, 2017
- Brickblock And Nakamo.to Announce Partnership To Fuse Real-world Asset Trading With The Potential Of IOTA’s Tangle Network – October 22, 2017
- Wirex inks deal with SBI Holdings to establish Asia focussed joint venture – Japanese cryptocurrency payments card expected soon – October 22, 2017
- CrowdWiz successfully raises over $5 million in its pre sale to bring democracy to investing by cutting out the middleman – October 22, 2017
- Soma – launches ICO to tackle marketplace fraud and disrupt the $1.7 trillion global second-hand goods industry – October 22, 2017
- LiveEdu.tv Launches ICO and Announces Presale – October 22, 2017
- Yetta announces ICO of European Commission funded Blockchain Research and Development – October 22, 2017
- Pulsar Venture Capital Holds ICO to Raise Money Using Blockchain – October 19, 2017
- Dash Expands Reach In Asia Through Cooperation With Rising Fintech Company QUOINE – October 19, 2017
- Hacken and Neuromation Partnership Launched to Stomp out Blockchain Cybercrime – October 19, 2017
View All Articles