A first cohort of graduates are ready for work in the Blockchain industry after completing intensive training at a summer course run by IOHK, the leading Blockchain and research development company.
The course in coding for cryptocurrencies focuses on Haskell – a programming language that is in demand in the area of Blockchain because of its significant security advantages.
The summer course ran from July to September and was offered free of charge to computer science graduates in Athens who had been selected by university professors. Industry demand for developers using Haskell is rapidly growing because of its suitability for Blockchain development.
Hedge funds and banks often choose the programming language for systems designed to carry huge amounts of value securely, and it is also used in mission critical systems such as in aerospace. IOHK intends to offer selected graduates from the program full-time positions in its newly established Athens Haskell Team.
IOHK Chief Scientist Aggelos Kiayias said:
“Corporations and financial institutions are increasingly seeking Haskell developers, but are faced with a shortage of skilled programmers. IOHK is delighted to have trained seven talented students into proficient Haskell developers. Building on IOHK’s growing legacy of sourcing and training high quality programmers and engineers from Greece, we are proud to have made several offers of employment to them.”
The course, led by Dr. Lars Brünjes, Haskell Developer at IOHK, and Dr. Andres Löh, a Partner at boutique Haskell consulting firm Well-Typed, aimed to give on-the-job training to the students, mostly in their fifth year at the National Technical University of Athens School of Electrical and Computer Engineering and some from University of Athens.
Brünjes worked very closely with Löh, who was an integral part in developing the intensive curriculum, producing course materials, and providing constructive feedback on the course. Most of the students began with a basic understanding of Haskell but, now graduates of IOHK’s rigorous program, will have the opportunity to establish the company’s Athens Haskell team.
The new team will complement IOHK’s global network of Blockchain research and development laboratories at University of Edinburgh and Tokyo Institute of Technology that bring together academics and students to collaborate on industry-inspired problems.
While most software engineering graduates entering the job market have only been exposed to theory, IOHK’s course endeavored to strike a balance between a theoretical background of functional programming and practical techniques for solving real-world problems.
In addition to lectures, the students had to complete challenging assignments and programming projects, like creating a peer-to-peer network and performing a “handshake” with a Bitcoin node.
Prof. Kiayias said:
“By integrating several of IOHK’s internal project goals into the curriculum, students were given practical experience programming code that solved real, relevant industry problems.”
IOHK’s Haskell and Cryptocurrencies course ran from July 17, 2017 to September 22, 2017.
Founded in 2015 by Charles Hoskinson and Jeremy Wood, IOHK is a technology company committed to using peer-to-peer innovations to provide financial services to the three billion people who do not have access to them. IOHK is an engineering company that builds cryptocurrencies and Blockchains for academic institutions, government entities and corporations. It is also a research firm with dense academic connections in Europe, America and Asia with many employees holding PhDs in Computer Science, Mathematics or Physics. IOHK focuses on practical, peer-reviewed research to create live protocols, and the technological underpinnings to next-generation cryptocurrencies. To learn more, visit iohk.io
- US SEC Goes Charges ICO Businessman For Defrauding Investors – October 1, 2017
- Pre-ICO Launch: HireMatch Offers Solution to Expedite Recruitment Process – October 1, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announces The STK Token, Providing Instant Cryptocurrency Payments At Point Of Sale – October 1, 2017
- ICO Regulation News Accelerating – Analysis – October 1, 2017
- Streamr, The Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Successfully Reaches 5 Million CHF Pre-Sale Cap in 25 Minutes – October 1, 2017
- BitClave Announces Partnership with Bancor – October 1, 2017
- Clicktopurchase Adds Blockchain to Established Property Purchasing Platform – October 1, 2017
- Former White House CIO Joins COBINHOOD as Strategic Advisor – October 1, 2017
- Steemit Introduces New Way To Monetize Media And Publishers – October 1, 2017
- Etch ICO Wants to Revolutionise Payroll Platform – Boosted by KPMG Collaboration – October 1, 2017
- DMarket Announces Second Phase of Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- DECENT Wins Big at the Central European Startup Awards – October 1, 2017
- Massively Distributed EOS-derived Blockchain XenonNetwork to Begin Token Distribution – October 1, 2017
- modum.io AG appoints Simon Dössegger as CEO – October 1, 2017
- INS Aims To Put Grocery Shopping On Blockchain, Announces Unilever Expressed Interest And ICO Dates – October 1, 2017
- Coinloan Provides Money Secured On Cryptocurrency – Launching Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- Verisart And Avant Arte Partner To Provide Digital Certificates Of Authenticity To Artists And Collectors Worldwide – October 1, 2017
- Goodwill Protocol Ico Looks To Fix Current Broken Economic System Through A Digital Economy That Operates On Human Goodwill – October 1, 2017
- Accenture Joins Hashed Health Blockchain Consortium to Develop and Implement Healthcare Industry Use Cases – October 1, 2017
- Polymath Unveils Stacked Board of Advisors, First Token Issuers & a ‘GitHub for Lawyers’ – October 1, 2017
- DECENT and Venaco Group Create a New Blockchain Joint Venture, Equidato Technologies AG – October 1, 2017
- BankEx, the Decentralized Bank-as-a-Service Exchange, Welcomes Stanford and Maryland Academics as Advisors – September 30, 2017
- Earth Token Wants to Save the Planet – September 29, 2017
- Change Healthcare Introduces Enterprise Blockchain For Healthcare – September 29, 2017
- Helperbit enables Bank Card donations with Blockchain traceability – September 29, 2017
- South Korea Bans Initial Coin Offerings – Plans to Crack Down on Trading – September 29, 2017
- Australian Regulators Vow to Work with Industry for ICOs – September 29, 2017
- ICO Market Transformed by ATS Security Token Joint Venture Forged by tZERO, RenGen and the Argon Group – September 27, 2017
- Backed by the Founder of Mozilla and CEO of Brave, SPiCE VC Is Launching A Fully Regulated Blockchain VC – September 27, 2017
- Spectral And Alliander Launch Blockchain-based Renewable Energy Sharing Token – September 27, 2017
- Munchee Announces The First Decentralized Food Review And Social Platform – September 27, 2017
- Shapeshift rival, Flyp.me launches accountless crypto exchange with 169 trading pairs and 50% profit sharing – September 27, 2017
- Oldham-based Energi Mine set to become first UK business outside London to raise funds through a Token Sale – September 27, 2017
- Snip Partners with Bancor and Matchpool After Extremely Successful Presale Campaign – September 27, 2017
- A new player enters the field of cryptocurrency marketplaces in October 2017 – September 27, 2017
- Unikrn Raised $15 Million in Token Pre-Sale for esports Cryptocurrency From Mark Cuban, Blockchain Capital, Pantera Capital, CoinCircle and More – September 27, 2017
- AB-CHAIN’s Cryptocurrency Makes Advertising Easy – September 25, 2017
- Gibraltar Jumps on Regulatory Bandwagon – Issues Consumer Warning on ICOs – Token Sales – But Gives Green Light – September 24, 2017
- From the Creator of ICOs – J.R. Willett Designs Uptoken – To Accelerate Expansion Of Global Crypto ATM Network – September 23, 2017
- Art Provenance Platform ARTEX Launching Token Sale – September 23, 2017
- Students Train for Blockchain Jobs at Coding and Cryptocurrencies Summer Course in Greece – September 23, 2017
- Central Banks are Trialling Blockchain, Cambridge Study Shows – September 23, 2017
- Blockchain Conquering Esports Industry – September 22, 2017
- Russian-based Startup LavkaLavka Plan to Disrupt Global Eco Farming and Organic Food Retail Sector with BioCoin – September 22, 2017
- Slack Out, Rocket.chat In – Blockchain Community Leaders Aragon Lead Industry Exodus Amid Marked Increase In Phishing Scams – September 22, 2017
- Swiss Supply Chain Startup AMBROSUS Launches Token Generation Event – September 22, 2017
- Codemojo (Backed by PayPal Incubator) is launching its ICO to Mobilize $360 Bn worth of Reward Points Globally – September 22, 2017
- Investment into Blockchain start-ups set to hit $3bn in 2017 – September 22, 2017
- Opporty Announces ICO and Token Sale Starting October 18th 2017 – September 21, 2017
- Medicalchain To Speak At The Upcoming Financial Times Digital Health Summit On Oct. 12, 2017 – September 21, 2017
View All Articles