So, let’s look at the file managers!
1. Webix File Manager
Webix File Manager is a ready-made SPA. Its interface is designed to facilitate the process of customization and integration into third-party solutions. The newest version contains numerous features:
- dual panel mode
- preview panel
- thumbnail support for image files
- built-in media player
- text editor
Users express their content with the widget. For example, Emmanual Onah used it in a project management platform for freelance translators. You can learn more about his experience in the showcase.
2. Syncfusion File Explorer
This is a simple file management tool that strongly resembles Windows File Explorer. It is offered by the popular Syncfusion product. The developers have provided a simplified interface design, assuming that users would develop and integrate their vision. Control performs all basic file operations like upload, download, delete, create, sort, search, and rename along with an out-of-the-box option to preview images in the file system.
Here is the list of features:
- customizable layout design
- file upload and download
- access control selection
- multiple file selection
3. Bootstrap File Manager SDK
This is another bright and mighty explorer, previously known as AlphaManager. If you are going to develop your project on the Bootstrap platform, this will be the right choice. The DevExpress Bootstrap File Manager provides an intuitive user interface designed to manage files and folders similarly to Microsoft File Explorer.
The features include:
- the capability to rename, copy, move, and delete folders and files;
- support for different sources of file system data (physical, data source, cloud storage);
- the capability to download and upload files;
- built-in access control with support for security roles.
4. DHTMLX File Manager
DHTMLX offers a high-quality file manager. It is a convenient tool for creating user-friendly apps for managing the file system. It helps users to perform the most common file operations, such as uploading, editing, and organizing files in folders. The explorer supports files of any format and allows keeping track of the space left.
Users can enjoy the following features of the solution:
- grid or list preview modes
- sorting by the alphabetic ascending or descending order
- context-menu support
- file details
This library offers a simple but concise solution for managing files. The File Manager widget can display a collection of hierarchical items that present a file system structure. The widget allows end-users to easily upload and select files and to change folder structure (rename, move, copy and delete files and folders). File and folder management capabilities are fully customizable and can be switched off if necessary.
A very simple yet functional file manager built with jQuery. The disadvantages of the manager include the inability to change the height of the main window, which is fixed at 400px. The tool allows you to build in a visual editor. It has an option to add images to the text. If a file Manager is enabled, you can download and get a link to the image in two clicks. In addition to uploading images to the site, you can also upload files, archives, documents, etc. A download link can be specified on the created page.
ElFinder features include:
- creating and deleting folders and subfolders
- uploading files of any type
- downloading files from the site
- quick view
- copying and moving files
- archiving and unzipping the contents
- renaming files
- editing images (crop, resize, rotate)
- uploading files to cloud storage
7. MooTools FileManager
MooTools FileManager allows you to view, download, and modify files and folders using a browser. The features of the manager are:
- view files and folders on the server
- rename, delete, move (drag-n-drop), copy, and download files
- preview images, text files, compressed files, or audio
- attractive user interface
- upload files via FancyUpload (integrated feature)
- change the size of large images when loading
AjaXplorer is a free file manager that is indispensable for remote file management on a web server. It is suitable for various purposes, such as file management, photo gallery, code viewing, etc. Requires PHP (4 or 5), no database needed.
The manager has numerous features:
- rename, copy, move, remove, download files or folders
- upload multiple files
- track the status on the progress bar (Flash required)
- create folders and files
- edit text files and scripts (JS, PHP, HTML, Java, SQL, Perl)
- view photos and images
- listen to MP3s online without downloading watchFlash video (FLV) in full screen
- view and extract ZIP files
CKFinder is a powerful yet easy-to-use file manager for web browsers. Its user-friendly and intuitive interface allows you to quickly learn it for all types of users, from professionals to beginners.
The features include:
- secure file upload
- quick response
- easy and user-friendly interface
- create, rename, and delete folders and files
- multi-language support with automatic user language detection
- high-quality preview of images
- folder tree
FileRun is a file management system (in PHP) that allows you to manage files stored on your web server using a user-friendly (Ajax) interface. FileRun is completely written in PHP, and the browser is the only thing that the user will need to work with files. You can easily access your documents or files from any computer that has an Internet connection through a standard browser.
- convenient Ajax-based interface
- download and archive folders
- load folders (without archiving or with unzipping)
- unlimited space for downloading files
- easy management of files already existing in the file system (no import required)
While writing this review, a few more file management solutions may have been developed. Among the projects reviewed, many continue to be supported and updated. It means the choice is becoming wider, so the programmers may find a solution for any peculiar project.
Disclaimer: The writer of this article has a vested interest in Webix
Create your free account to unlock your custom reading experience.