Zilliqa, a new Blockchain platform that has the potential to achieve transaction rates that rival VISA and MasterCard, has announced they have successfully deployed their platform on an internal testnet of Amazon Web Services nodes and the company is on track to release their public testnet and source code for developers within months.
The Zilliqa Blockchain platform is being developed by researchers at the National University of Singapore led by Xinshu Dong and is based off of a Secure Sharding protocol originally proposed by their research team that included Loi Luu and Prateek Saxena back in 2015. Zilliqa proposes a new Blockchain based on a sharding protocol that allows for a high-throughput platform designed to securely scale in an open, permission-less distributed network.
The Scalability Bottleneck for Public Blockchains
Zilliqa addresses one of the most pressing problems facing public Blockchain platforms: Scalability. The ability to handle a larger number of transactions per second as a Blockchain network grows has been recognized as one of the biggest problems facing existing Blockchain platforms, as evidenced by the often cited example of only 7–10 transactions/second (TX/s) available in Bitcoin and Ethereum today. The issue is that these numbers are way short of centralized payment processors like VISA, which processes roughly 8,000 TX/s on average. Zilliqa has proposed a new Blockchain platform that solves these issues using sharding.
Sharding is a concept that the Zilliqa team proposed in a paper back in 2015, but hasn’t yet been deployed as an open and permission-less Blockchain at scale until now. The idea is to automatically split up a large network of machines processing transactions into parallel sub-committees or “shards”. Each shard processes its own microblock in parallel with other shards, and resulting micro-blocks are merged into one final one. Although the high-level idea of sharding appears not difficult to understand, ensuring a secure and unbiased process of sharding is highly challenging. Zilliqa develops a mechanism to dynamically elect and update a special committee of machines to ensure such properties.
Using this approach with a network size of 10,000 nodes (less than half of Ethereum), Zilliqa would enable a throughput which matches that of VISA and MasterCard, with much lower fees for merchants.
Zilliqa Sharding-Friendly Smart Contracts
In their current state, today’s mainstream public Blockchains are not suitable for running computation-intensive tasks. This is because any of the computation tasks would have to be repeated at all full nodes on the Blockchain for validation. Although they are secure, such a fully redundant programming model is prohibitively expensive for running large-scale computations.
Zilliqa proposes a new ‘scalability-driven’ smart contract language that is not Turing-complete, but rather scales much better for a multitude of applications that range from automated auctions, shared economy to financial modelling. The smart contract language in Zilliqa follows a dataflow programming style, where the program can be seen as a directed graph, and nodes in the graph represent computations, while arcs represent input/output.
After months of development (and years of theoretical work) Zilliqa has created an initial technology platform based upon their proposals that has been deployed on an internal testnet of Amazon Web Services EC2 instances, and the results were astounding. When Zilliqa was deployed on 2,400 nodes with 4 shards, the Blockchain network achieved a throughput of 1,389 TX/s.
In perspective, this trial of their technology produced a transaction rate that was over 100 times faster than today’s Blockchains.
The company has noted that this is just the beginning and there are many more innovations and development milestones ahead that will enable further scalability and add many features to Zilliqa.
Zilliqa does not rely on Proof-of-Work (PoW) for consensus and only leverages it to establish mining identities. PoW is performed only at larger intervals, not by every miner on every block. Thus, it has a much smaller energy footprint.
Zilliqa plans to release their source code and a public testnet in December 2017. The public release of the Zilliqa protocol will enable the public to participate in the Zilliqa protocol to test its functionality, performance and robustness
To learn more about Zilliqa
- Prosense.tv Announces $30M Initial Coin Offering for its Peer-to-Peer Virtual Reality Livestream Platform Built on Blockchain; Launches November 3, 2017 – October 6, 2017
- Chamber Of Digital Commerce And U.S. Department Of Commerce Lead The First Blockchain Certified Trade Mission To The United Arab Emirates – October 6, 2017
- Binary.com Announces Initial Coin Offering (ICO) – October 6, 2017
- Papyrus Announce Strategic Partnership with Bancor – October 6, 2017
- David Orban joins Neuromation.io as advisor – October 6, 2017
- Zilliqa Unveils A New, High Transaction Rate, Scalable Blockchain – October 6, 2017
- Miniapps.pro Token Private Presale Has Attracted $500,000 – October 6, 2017
- Pundi X Launches First Retail Point Of Sale Solution For Cryptocurrency In Indonesia – October 6, 2017
- Gameflip Announces Upcoming Sale of Crypto-Token (FLIP) for Gaming Digital Goods – October 6, 2017
- Exscudo Successfully Launches Eon Blockchain Testnet – October 5, 2017
- Energy Web Foundation launches Blockchain and Application Layer Test Network – October 3, 2017
- Leading Blockchain Law Firm MME Introduces New Legal Framework to Shape the Future of Tokenized Assets – October 3, 2017
- Outlier Ventures Backs Evernym To Bring The World True Self-sovereign Identity – October 3, 2017
- Cardano launches with Bittrex as first exchange partner – October 3, 2017
- Invotra Launches Digital Workplace that Uses Blockchain – October 3, 2017
- Unolabo Wants to Lift The Next Billion Users Out Of Poverty – Announce Token Sale – October 3, 2017
- Aion, the First Interoperable Blockchain Network, Announces Advisory Board – October 3, 2017
- Bank Aljazira Wins The Race For The First Blockchain Use Case In Saudi Arabia With Its Blockchain Ewallet – October 3, 2017
- Real Estate Tokenization Platform BitProperty to Launch a Token Sale After Beta Release – October 3, 2017
- BlockMason Successfully Launches Whitelist Capped Token Sale – October 3, 2017
- US SEC Goes Charges ICO Businessman For Defrauding Investors – October 1, 2017
- Pre-ICO Launch: HireMatch Offers Solution to Expedite Recruitment Process – October 1, 2017
- STK Global Payments Announces The STK Token, Providing Instant Cryptocurrency Payments At Point Of Sale – October 1, 2017
- ICO Regulation News Accelerating – Analysis – October 1, 2017
- Streamr, The Decentralized Real-Time Data Economy, Successfully Reaches 5 Million CHF Pre-Sale Cap in 25 Minutes – October 1, 2017
- BitClave Announces Partnership with Bancor – October 1, 2017
- Clicktopurchase Adds Blockchain to Established Property Purchasing Platform – October 1, 2017
- Former White House CIO Joins COBINHOOD as Strategic Advisor – October 1, 2017
- Steemit Introduces New Way To Monetize Media And Publishers – October 1, 2017
- Etch ICO Wants to Revolutionise Payroll Platform – Boosted by KPMG Collaboration – October 1, 2017
- DMarket Announces Second Phase of Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- DECENT Wins Big at the Central European Startup Awards – October 1, 2017
- Massively Distributed EOS-derived Blockchain XenonNetwork to Begin Token Distribution – October 1, 2017
- modum.io AG appoints Simon Dössegger as CEO – October 1, 2017
- INS Aims To Put Grocery Shopping On Blockchain, Announces Unilever Expressed Interest And ICO Dates – October 1, 2017
- Coinloan Provides Money Secured On Cryptocurrency – Launching Token Sale – October 1, 2017
- Verisart And Avant Arte Partner To Provide Digital Certificates Of Authenticity To Artists And Collectors Worldwide – October 1, 2017
- Goodwill Protocol Ico Looks To Fix Current Broken Economic System Through A Digital Economy That Operates On Human Goodwill – October 1, 2017
- Accenture Joins Hashed Health Blockchain Consortium to Develop and Implement Healthcare Industry Use Cases – October 1, 2017
- Polymath Unveils Stacked Board of Advisors, First Token Issuers & a ‘GitHub for Lawyers’ – October 1, 2017
- DECENT and Venaco Group Create a New Blockchain Joint Venture, Equidato Technologies AG – October 1, 2017
- BankEx, the Decentralized Bank-as-a-Service Exchange, Welcomes Stanford and Maryland Academics as Advisors – September 30, 2017
- Earth Token Wants to Save the Planet – September 29, 2017
- Change Healthcare Introduces Enterprise Blockchain For Healthcare – September 29, 2017
- Helperbit enables Bank Card donations with Blockchain traceability – September 29, 2017
- South Korea Bans Initial Coin Offerings – Plans to Crack Down on Trading – September 29, 2017
- Australian Regulators Vow to Work with Industry for ICOs – September 29, 2017
- ICO Market Transformed by ATS Security Token Joint Venture Forged by tZERO, RenGen and the Argon Group – September 27, 2017
- Backed by the Founder of Mozilla and CEO of Brave, SPiCE VC Is Launching A Fully Regulated Blockchain VC – September 27, 2017
- Spectral And Alliander Launch Blockchain-based Renewable Energy Sharing Token – September 27, 2017
View All Articles